• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which pads/gloves/helmet? £150 budget

samwise

Cricket Spectator
Hi all,

My brother is a big cricket fan and has recently taken an interest in playing. I want to buy him pads, gloves and a helmet for his birthday and need your advice!

I have a budget of £150, although I dont want to spend for the sake of it, so if there's some equally good gear from last year then I'll go for that (he is 30 but just starting).

I have found it really hard to find reviews on gear (loads on bats) and the only one I've found says that the GM ORIGINAL LE 2017 pads were the best... that's as far as I've come.

Any and all advice/tips would be really welcome as I'm a complete novice.

Cheers,

Sam

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just walk into a shop and speak to someone there if possible imo. Ask whether you can do an exchange in case something doesn't fit or is uncomfortable etc.

150 should get you some pretty good stuff I imagine.

samwise

Cricket Spectator
Thanks daemon, I went in to a shop as suggested and came out with Kookaburra 1000 pads and gloves for around £110. Not what my research said was best and more expensive than online but happy to use a local business and expertise. Turns out the ones I had found were best for test cricket and not a whole lot different from these cheaper ones so thanks for the tip. Also realised that the gloves were more important etc and the kook1000s look neat to me.

Have I made an error on this purchase?

His helmets started at £80 so didn't get one, is this the norm?

Cheers all

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds pricey to me, but maybe someone from the UK can give you a better idea

5UBY

Cricket Spectator
I've used https://www.martinberrillsports.com/index.php this company before and they seem quite competetive on price.

Personally I like to used Hunts County gear (used to play for the county 8-) ) and as an example, their top end batting pads are only 60 GBP, decent gloves for 35 GBP, leaving 55 GBP for a helmet (which they have).

You can also cross reference price on Amazon or Ebay, but with MB you will have a reputable seller to go back to if you need.

150 GBP is plenty for those 3 items, and good stuff that at!