• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recommended WK Gloves 2017

djg91

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new pair of wicketkeeper gloves and was wondering what other keepers recommend?

I have always bought Puma in the past and they have served me well up until the EvoPower SE's I purchased last year, which were great to begin with but began to come away where the webbing joins the thumb, exposing the rubber thumb protector after just two games.

I took these back to the shop where I bought them only to be told I mustn't be catching the ball properly (despite buying 5 or 6 pairs of Pumas from the same shop over the years, none of which I have experienced the same problem with). I'm a bit reluctant to go with Puma again for this reason, although I could be persuaded they were just a faulty pair if anyone offers a glittering review of their new range.

All suggestions welcome! :)

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've gone through 2 pairs, both Kookaburra 450s and had no problem with them at all. Never used any others though so I've got nothing to compare them with really.

djg91

Cricket Spectator
I've gone through 2 pairs, both Kookaburra 450s and had no problem with them at all. Never used any others though so I've got nothing to compare them with really.
Thanks for the suggestion mate :) I did try on a pair of Kookaburras (think they were 1000s) but they felt a little bulky for my liking.

In the end I went for last season's Adidas Elites, which were on sale for half price. On first impressions, they're really comfortable with a nice big catching area. If they hold up as well as I hope they will then I will definitely be buying Adidas again!

Bijed

International Regular
Just to dig up this thread with a question of my own, I'm looking to get myself a pair of wicketkeeper gloves now that I've taken a liking to the role, but am totally naive as to what different gloves might offer. What would I be missing out of if I just went for the cheapest pair I can find? Is it just that they'd wear out more quickly. And how about for inners? I've seen some for £3, I've seen some for £20. I don't mind spending a bit more for better kit, but obviously I don't want to go paying more for no good reason.

Sorry that this is a bit vague and open ended, thanks for anyone who can help me out :)

djg91

Cricket Spectator
This video should give you a few ideas: https://youtu.be/zrXIa2ttpOM

Personally, I'd say more expensive gloves use better quality leather and offer a little more protection than cheaper pairs. This does not necessarily make them "better" for you though.

The most important things I look for in a glove are:

1. A wide thumb (to maximise the catching area)

2. A nice snug fit with the inners on (personal preference, some keepers prefer a looser fit but bear in mind gloves will loosen a fair bit with use anyway)

Inners-wise, I try not to spend too much. You can get a nice pair of half-chamois ones for around a fiver and if you buy in person the shop might even throw them in for the price of the gloves.

The best thing to do if you're not sure is go and try a few pairs on and see what feels right for you.