• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Getting back to cricket

Mav76

Cricket Spectator
I am 40 year old and coming back to cricket after a gap of 12 years. I played few games here and there last year however hoping to play full season of cricket this year.
I went down against a bowling machine few days back, speeds betwen 60-68 mph. It took me a while to adjust but I could feel muscle memory is there. I felt my bat was turning lot of time on shots and it used to close while driving.

Would love to hear inputs based on the attached video. Any tips and suggestions which can help me get back to batting and becoming a better player.
https://youtu.be/yarX0PK6DZQ

PS: Apologies for the poor video quality :mellow:

Thanks

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are doing great for a 40 year old playing cricket after 12 years. Try to get the defensive shot like at 0:41 first then go through for the shots. You also seem to have a habit of hanging the bat in the air so would most definitely struggle against yorkers but at this moment, that is not the concern. You need to keep your feet close your bat. You are playing okay right now but your feet are away from the shot. If you move it more towards your bat or where you want to play the shot, you will get a better balance and range. Work on the forward and backward defense all over again and then go for the shots.

Sorry if you find all the working on defense thing boring. I, myself am a defensive batsman ever since I watched Dravid play in 2003-04 in Australia as a 14 year old.

2:45 It looked beautiful by the way.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He 'hangs out' his bat and plays uppishly less so because of foot movement and more because of head position imo.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
He 'hangs out' his bat and plays uppishly less so because of foot movement and more because of head position imo.
Right Sir! Head should be still and not falling over. I thought he would get it right once he works on his footwork. Head usually goes in tandem with shots where we want to play right? Anyway, we got this thread running for once. :D