Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By jewelthief
  • 1 Post By Daemon
  • 1 Post By zorax

Thread: New to hard ball cricket

Cricket Spectator

New to hard ball cricket

I am 32 years old immigrant in New Zealand from Pakistan. As the new cricket season is starting here in NZ so I decided to play cricket. I am a reasonable batsman (or thats what I think at least) but almost all of cricket that I have played is with tennis ball back in Pakistan.

Anyway I decided to try my luck in a warm up match (Yeah...Not practice) which was being played on a cemented and matted wicket. Before my turn in the batting, I thought it would be easy and I will at least rotate the strike but to my surprise I couldn't even middle a single ball even to the spinners. I stayed there for 20 balls in which almost 10 were completely missed. From rest of the 10 balls, I nicked three catches to slips (which were dropped ) finally getting caught behind on the fourth nick.

Although It was my first experience with proper hard ball cricket in many years but I couldn't believe that how bad I played. It was utmost embarrassment. Even the balls that were coming straight and on which I thought I would straight drive them easily, were going to square leg after hitting the bat. I was like What the hell.....

Is it that hard to switch from tennis ball to hard ball cricket? What were your experiences?

My reflection:
    1) I should buy a cricket gear of my own as the friend's cricket I used was bigger in size which is why I was not comfortable probably.
    2) I over rated myself and I am not good enough to bat although this will break my heart.

OR am I just another Pakistani batsman?
    zorax, Shri and indiaholic like this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    You just need to get used to the pace and bounce of a cricket ball. Tennis balls slow down a lot after pitching and that's where the problem mostly lies. Timing is also much more important. It'll come with practice, don't be too hard on yourself.
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Tennis balls slow down a lot after pitching and that's where the problem mostly lies.
    That is what I thought too. Ball seemed to zip after pitching and I was clearly late on many of the shots I played.

When I moved from tape ball to hard ball, I realised I was trying too hard to hit the ball hard. You can't really punch or time a tape ball away fro a lot of runs, you develop the habit of trying to whack it. You can't do that with the hard ball. You need to hold the bat a lot firmer, and try to just punch the ball rather than hitting it hard. Atleast until you get your eye in.

Fielding is also going to be a challenge for you - the hard ball can really sting your hands. You shouldn't grab at it like you would with a tape ball. Try to practice taking some high catches and flat catches in nets, work on your catching technique. Bad technique with hard ball = bruised and possibly broken fingers. And lots of drops/fumbles.

It takes some time. Take it slow at first.
    Shri likes this.
    Check out The Cricket Web Podcast!

The Cricket Web Podcast #33 - I Just Wanna Talk About Vernon Philander

iTunes
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    If only Kane Richardson had played some HK domestic cricket before his ODI debut.
    Quote Originally Posted by S.Kennedy View Post
    The Hong Kong Blitz is better than the IPL.

Also, remember that if you are too slow to sway out of the way of tennis ball bouncers, you will be way too slow to sway out of leather ball ones. Also, top edging off breaks onto your face hurts like a bitch. Always go for a helmet, we are not international quality batsmen.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    "Still waiting for bole trekking Marayyye". Keep Kumar up in the third umpires box please,its hilarious. Him almost screwing up a DRS referral a definite highlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ashwin is like one of those paintings whose eye always follows you around the room. He'd be hell in a court room. The judge and the witness would always think he's lookong at both of them at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    You are basically saying he would have made an amazing lawyer. :)
    No im saying he's partly cross-eyed.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Also, if you were playing on mats (as opposed to synthetic grass), they're just a bastard of a surface tbh.

Don't be too hard on your self. Get a mate and go to the nets and have him give you a heap of throw downs to get you used to the feel of bat on ball. Then get him to adjust the length he's throwing the ball, so you can work on some shorter stuff (not bouncers, I mean short of a length) so you're getting into the feel of the ball coming onto the bat.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick to it and you'll definitely get better and enjoy the game.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Cricket Spectator
    Also, if you were playing on mats (as opposed to synthetic grass), they're just a bastard of a surface tbh.

Don't be too hard on your self. Get a mate and go to the nets and have him give you a heap of throw downs to get you used to the feel of bat on ball. Then get him to adjust the length he's throwing the ball, so you can work on some shorter stuff (not bouncers, I mean short of a length) so you're getting into the feel of the ball coming onto the bat.

Anyway, good luck with it. Stick to it and you'll definitely get better and enjoy the game.

Thanks for the replies. The problem with finding the mate is that I am new in New Zealand and I don't know anyone who would go with me with that sort of practice, certainly not that good enough mate

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    How about a team mate then?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jewelthief View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The problem with finding the mate is that I am new in New Zealand and I don't know anyone who would go with me with that sort of practice, certainly not that good enough mate
    Good old fashioned throw downs to get used to how the hard ball comes off the wicket, combined with net sessions when you get a chance.

NZ is pretty open around players turning up to trainings, if you see people in the nets and you're willing to roll your arm over for some overs, they'll roll their arm over for you too.

Cricket Spectator
    I am just opposite to you.i have moved from hard ball cricket to tennis ball cricket.yes,its difficult for you(not in my case,because tennis ball does not swing a lot).you are playing on mat,so hard ball will swing more than if it is played on soil(because the ball does not get older so quickly in this case).my suggestion to you give importance on basic tech.,like your stance,batting grip,front foot & back foot play.practice in net,you will have to be seasoned with it,nothing else.all the best...

Thread Information