Thread: Left-handed or right handed?

School Boy/Girl Captain thundaboult's Avatar

Left-handed or right handed?

Hey guys, almost a year ago from today, I posted a clip in this forum asking for help on my bowling action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJlr3YqsYv4

I was told to fix my double hop and I'm been looking for a proper drill to fix that issue ever since. Recently, I've found one that I have confidence in that it will fix my double hop problem.

https://mycricketcoach.com/ask-ben/double-hop/

But here is the interesting situation/dilemma that video has presented to me. You see, I naturally bowl right handed and throw better and accurately with my right arm while fielding. But I do most things with my left hand/arm. I've always slightly been more of a leftie than a right hander in general, excluding cricket. (writing, holding objects etc) The only thing in cricket where I do anything left-handed is that I bat as a leftie.

That double hop correction video has given me a new scenario to think of....whenever I've held the ball in my left hand and just threw it in a stand-still bowling action in front of the mirror, it never felt awkward or un-natural. (I've never actually tried running with a full run-up as leftie though) The double hop correction video is basically a foot coordination and alignment drill which I feel like I could maybe use to bowl left handed! I've always wanted to be a left arm bowler all my life but have been too scared to try left arm because I feel that maybe I'm going against my natural game in being a right arm bowler.

So what do you guys think? Should I give my left arm bowling a chance with that drill in the double hop video or should I just focus on fixing my double hop as a right arm and going forward with that?

I feel like I'm really stuck on a 50/50 path here and really need some clarity. Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by thundaboult; 07-04-2016 at 05:22 AM.

Tried out the left arm action with the a run up!

Another one!

i have a question regarding the hand positions for holding the bat.
    I am a right handed person and bowls (I like to legspin)like a right handed person and my position in the strike is like a right handed person. but I can't hold the bat like a right-handed batsman. I am holding it like a left-hand batsman. is that a problem when comes to public cricket? My frnds have no problem. We are going to face first club tournament by the end of this month and I am in the home team of my club, I really need and expert advice, If needed I can post pics
    thank you very much

Banned
    You may struggle to ramp up the pace with your left arm seeing as you're fighting your natural dominance; so I'd suggest working out reasonably quickly what arm you feel more confident with and what arm you can hit the mark repeatedly with and work hard on there.

In terms of double hop, that video is helpful but what I'd suggest is walk through your action and release repeatedly, then work off a couple of steps, then work off six steps.

In terms of using your front arm more, try use a trigger - what I used to coach was during the delivery stride, push the lead hand up towards the air before bring it down, that trigger movement generally gets people to align their non-bowling hand more, and then focus on tucking it in as if you're elbowing someone who has their head against your side. It's hard to explain in text, but that often corrects younger players who find themselves dangling their arm or not using it within their stride.
    Last edited by Blocky; 18-11-2016 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    You may struggle to ramp up the pace with your left arm seeing as you're fighting your natural dominance; so I'd suggest working out reasonably quickly what arm you feel more confident with and what arm you can hit the mark repeatedly with and work hard on there.

In terms of double hop, that video is helpful but what I'd suggest is walk through your action and release repeatedly, then work off a couple of steps, then work off six steps.

In terms of using your front arm more, try use a trigger - what I used to coach was during the delivery stride, push the lead hand up towards the air before bring it down, that trigger movement generally gets people to align their non-bowling hand more, and then focus on tucking it in as if you're elbowing someone who has their head against your side. It's hard to explain in text, but that often corrects younger players who find themselves dangling their arm or not using it within their stride.
    Good stuff Blocky

The other thing that I have found with my son is that he responds to visual aids so I got him a two toned ball and then filmed him on the iPad using both his "natural" action with a runup and then simply stepping through his action as you suggest.

He then compared the videos and also against the actions of guys like Alan Donald using split screen

The improvement has been significant in just a week and importantly, he is now starting to "feel" what a good action should be and can tell me what he did wrong most of the time

Thread Information