• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bottom hand pushing through drives

taineriley1

Cricket Spectator
When I'm driving, my bottom hand pushes the bat forward and tilts it up, meaning the ball always goes up. Even when I grip the bat with my thumb and index finger my right arm pushes forward hard. Can anyone suggest a correction or drill I can do to stop this happening???

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I'm driving, my bottom hand pushes the bat forward and tilts it up, meaning the ball always goes up. Even when I grip the bat with my thumb and index finger my right arm pushes forward hard. Can anyone suggest a correction or drill I can do to stop this happening???
How's your head position and where's your weight when you make contact?

Maybe use a hanging ball, top hand only at the start, make sure you watch the ball all the way onto the bat and your head is over the ball.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea this usually happens when your head isn't over the ball or if your weight isn't forward enough. You end up throwing your hands at the ball to reach it and that causes the bottom hand to drive the bat upwards.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Do away with the ball altogether for now.

Find a big mirror - practice driving an imaginary ball in front of the mirror. Do this every day for 5 minutes for 3 weeks.

After each drive look at your technique. Look at the angle of your bat. Do you think the ball would go up or down if you were to connect. Keep practicing until you learn how to do imaginary drives on the up and control your follow through so you are caressing the ball rather than hitting it.

The story I tell to go along with this drill is that there is an eleven year old who went from number 11 with his school side to opening the batting for the reps just by practicising in front of the mirror every day for a year.