Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hurricane

Thread: Swinging the Ball

Cricket Spectator

Swinging the Ball

I'm a 14 year old and its my first year in adult cricket. My bowling is moderately accurate but not that pacy and I want to know how to get the ball swinging more.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendo107 View Post
    I'm a 14 year old and its my first year in adult cricket. My bowling is moderately accurate but not that pacy and I want to know how to get the ball swinging more.
    Google. You should be able to read about this in someone's blog.

My limited knowledge of the topic is this

Outswing, get in close to the stumps - get really really side on. Deliver the ball from about 10:30 as opposed to 12 o'clock - follow through well - and yes shiny side etc etc etc.

Inswing - get chest on shiny side on other side - follow through down the right hand side of your body.

Look there is a lot to it, even your feet position matter, read as much as you can and watch footage of Ben Hilfenhaus or someone who prodigiously swings it.

At the end of the day, only some people ever figure out how to swing the ball and some people never do.
    Zinzan likes this.
    1) Ross is the Boss.
    2) See point 1.

Overrated XI M Bracewell, Burns, Rahane, Don Voges, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Google. You should be able to read about this in someone's blog.

My limited knowledge of the topic is this

Outswing, get in close to the stumps - get really really side on. Deliver the ball from about 10:30 as opposed to 12 o'clock - follow through well - and yes shiny side etc etc etc.

Inswing - get chest on shiny side on other side - follow through down the right hand side of your body.

Look there is a lot to it, even your feet position matter, read as much as you can and watch footage of Ben Hilfenhaus or someone who prodigiously swings it.

At the end of the day, only some people ever figure out how to swing the ball and some people never do.
    Thankyou for your help shall take that into account when bowling next time

Cricketer Of The Year wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    I'll have to respectfully disagree about getting side-on for outswing. It's all in the wrist position and releasing the ball in the right position with sufficient back-spin. Watch Tim Southee and Dale Steyn - both bowl from a fairly front-on action yet are massive exponents of outswing. Buy one of those bowling disks and spend a few training sessions experimenting with different ideas to see what works. If you can't get your seam position from a full run-up right, then cut right back to bowling off one step and get the release right before adding it back in.

Additionally I would advise against trying to swing it both ways to start off. Figure out which one you're naturally inclined to and hone it. You want to have a really reliable and accurate stock ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Neesham
    Root always sets up the innings well. It's nice having BJ down the order to finish the innings off.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Hall of Fame Member
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Going side on consciously definitely helps though. It forces your body to pivot a little which gets your wrist naturally into a position that's good for outswing. Consciously trying to position your wrist to be facing either way ever so slightly is much harder.

Depends on your skill level and how willing to train you are really.
    Last edited by Daemon; 07-09-2015 at 09:50 PM.

Thread Information