• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Leg Spin help, video of bowling and batting included.

mocricket

Cricket Spectator
Hello, I posted a couple of years ago some clips of just my batting and received some helpful tips from members here. Ever since then I went through a weird hand injury which still persists and has allowed me to develop and focus on my leg spin, it is a very difficult art and I have done what I can to improve in the limited time and resources I have. I have no access to coaches here so these sort of discussions are invaluable. I play pretty low grade cricket in Canada really and it is quite frustrating playing on heavy outfields where we have to hit over the top. Essentially I have simply worked on my game by watching a lot of cricket and tried to model myself on Warne. I went to the nets the other day to capture some casual bowling footage, any advice would be helpful. I have also attached a couple of updated batting clips from recently, including some of the older ones so it would be interesting to see if you guys could spot any differences in technique. Thanks.

Leg spin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTLkqzah45Q

Recent Batting:

https://youtu.be/OHzvF3QuSks

Older batting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPojCNTFUw

Last edited:

Ahmed665

Cricket Spectator
Wow you got some serious spin on your bowl and batting i just love it bro you look young i suggest you move to a country where they cricket seriously you really got serious thing going on cuz i see that talent in you.your body language while batting is just prefect and u r lucky you got nets we dont even have nets lol so dont waste your energy in canadian american club cricket.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the first time you posted your batting clips. I said at the time I disagreed with your flamboyant backlift before playing defensive shots. I think Neil Pickup defended it and said it was ok.

Regarding your bowling - I was picking your googly, may want to work on disguising it more, you follow through down different sides of your body.

Also tend to have a different release.

Anyway I think in a game it won't be picked, I was able to study you for a couple of deliveries.

mocricket

Cricket Spectator
Wow you got some serious spin on your bowl and batting i just love it bro you look young i suggest you move to a country where they cricket seriously you really got serious thing going on cuz i see that talent in you.your body language while batting is just prefect and u r lucky you got nets we dont even have nets lol so dont waste your energy in canadian american club cricket.
Thank you, but I am not young, I am already 27, I kind of missed the boat I feel, perhaps I can go overseas for a season to England or Australia and see if I can find any help.

I remember the first time you posted your batting clips. I said at the time I disagreed with your flamboyant backlift before playing defensive shots. I think Neil Pickup defended it and said it was ok.

Regarding your bowling - I was picking your googly, may want to work on disguising it more, you follow through down different sides of your body.

Also tend to have a different release.

Anyway I think in a game it won't be picked, I was able to study you for a couple of deliveries.
Thank you, good batsmen will always eventually pick the googly, the slider is the more lethal weapon as it is difficult to pick and sometimes it actually turns instead of sliding on straight. The stock leg break is my main weapon and it gets me the most wickets, I only resort to variations if my leg break is being played very well.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thank you, but I am not young, I am already 27, I kind of missed the boat I feel, perhaps I can go overseas for a season to England or Australia and see if I can find any help.

Thank you, good batsmen will always eventually pick the googly, the slider is the more lethal weapon as it is difficult to pick and sometimes it actually turns instead of sliding on straight. The stock leg break is my main weapon and it gets me the most wickets, I only resort to variations if my leg break is being played very well.
I guess the only other feedback I have is do batsman use their feet against you? I am getting at what is the correct speed for you to bowl at.
Your turn is exceedingly impressive.

mocricket

Cricket Spectator
I guess the only other feedback I have is do batsman use their feet against you? I am getting at what is the correct speed for you to bowl at.
Your turn is exceedingly impressive.
Most of my wickets are actually the batsmen prodding a little forward trying to defend the ball and getting stumped. I get considerable turn and dip so its really risky using the feet. I haven't got hit over my head for a boundary yet, most of the boundaries are if I drop it too short or full tosses down leg side. I have only recently started to focus on my leg spin and my accuracy has greatly improved over the past year or so and I continue these days to work very hard, I can bowl quicker but I flight the ball a lot as it tends to work best. I haven't had any coaching so I was wondering if my mechanics are correct and if I can improve on something other than just the fact that I need to practice a lot more and polish the skills.

Riggins

International Captain
I don't know much about spin bowling but looks like you don't get much out of your run up/follow though. Getting a bit more dynamic into your delivery stride and following through a bit more could get you a bit more revs or keep the same amount of spin at a little bit faster pace. Even just the ability to vary your pace more effectively.

mocricket

Cricket Spectator
I don't know much about spin bowling but looks like you don't get much out of your run up/follow though. Getting a bit more dynamic into your delivery stride and following through a bit more could get you a bit more revs or keep the same amount of spin at a little bit faster pace. Even just the ability to vary your pace more effectively.
Thanks for the tip, my run up I think is fine as it allows me to stay calm and composed as I approach the crease. I wasn't putting enough energy into my deliveries here as I just wanted to get the action mechanics right, I can bowl quicker with more energy through the crease. From what I have noticed the follow through is very important, I try to follow through mostly but sometimes I get a bit lazy with my follow through. I think I am also a bit too round arm at times and I try to bowl more deliveries with a bit higher arm action to get a little more top spin, bounce and dip.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Watching you bowl here, I would say that the biggest thing is that you need to work on putting more energy into your delivery and getting your arm up higher. You're getting lots of turn but the ball is being delivered from far too round arm. You'll find it difficult to deceive batsmen with the flight.

Arm up, spin up as Warne used to say.

The other thing is that you need to work on getting more rotation in your action. You're coming in very front on. Try to get a little more side on and drive through the delivery.

mocricket

Cricket Spectator
Watching you bowl here, I would say that the biggest thing is that you need to work on putting more energy into your delivery and getting your arm up higher. You're getting lots of turn but the ball is being delivered from far too round arm. You'll find it difficult to deceive batsmen with the flight.

Arm up, spin up as Warne used to say.

The other thing is that you need to work on getting more rotation in your action. You're coming in very front on. Try to get a little more side on and drive through the delivery.
Thank you for your advice, it just happens to be that these are exactly the adjustments I have tried to make recently, these were just the nets so I was concentrating more on variation but I realized that even in nets I should make a habit of trying to bowl with maximum energy through the crease. I am a bit too sidearm and I do tend to get drift but yes, I did take a note of that comment by Warne in one of his tutorials and it is a bit better to have the stock leg break a bit less round arm and get it to drop on the batsmen with more top spin. I also experimented with trying to come in more side on, it allowed me to pivot harder and get more spin, but I have noticed that Warne actually tended to be less side on that I would have initially imagined, I don't know what the reason is, it perhaps allows him to have more control?

Last edited: