• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watching the ball bowled

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
Does anyone else have issues seeing the trajectory of the ball they just bowled? I've only been playing for a couple of years (although I'm 28) and I've just started to realise/ be told that I'm getting a lot of in-swing (which I'm not going to complain about). The problem is I can't see it so I can't work out if small tweaks are making any difference. I think this is making me inaccurate because I can't adjust my bowling to account for the swing if I can't see it happening. Also I'm now trying to bowl a bit of outswing and I can't figure out if it's working. It might go to the left but that could just be me being inaccurate.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah its not weird. I know what you mean. I used to bowl quick for a while in HS and people told me my deliveries were skidding or drifting in and I had no effing idea. Just ran in and bowled for abt offstump and saw the ball ending around middle.

It helped to know it was moving in the air and that it wasn't my ****ty accuracy. But I don't think many bowlers can see the ball out of their hand. You just feel that you've released it well. And you target an area to aim at, knowing that it will probably move a hint and end up some amount to the right or left of where you are aiming. Just factor that in. I think that's what swing bowlers do - it's why they take an over or two to find their range.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Generally over time you work out what you do with the ball and the areas you need to bowl I think. I guess it depends on how early you swing it too. I used to seam it around more than swing it, and given you normally see it pitch it wasn't a problem.

Do you usually look at the spot you're trying to land it? And does your head drop in your delivery stride like Jimmy Anderson?

Last edited:

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the replies, guys. I do make sure to keep my head up but it's just been frustrating that I can't make out the trajectory. I'm glad I'm not alone. And you would have thought it would be easy to just aim a bit to the left but it keeps going down the leg side. I've got nets tonight so I'll see how I get on. Thanks again.