• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bowling action analysis and increase of pace.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum. I am 21 years old living in Canada and aspiring to be a fast bowler. Even though I haven't clocked my bowling speed before, I know I'm not bowling at a speed of more than 110km/hour. I have been practicing on remodelling my bowling action for a month now and have made some strides as I had a real consistent chucking problem before. This summer will be my first taste of competitive cricket as I have never played cricket competitively before.

My question is very simple, how do I increase my pace? Is it too late for me to do so as I am 21 or is there still hope? Also it would be great if you let me know of some fitness and workout routines I can do to make myself stronger for fast bowling and just cricket itself in general.

Second, if you guys can nitpick and analyze my run-up and bowling action in the following video of me bowling, that would be great.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Better rhythm on your approach, with a bit more speed, and getting into position to deliver the ball earlier in the delivery stride would probably help. As would getting rid of the double hop on the back foot before release. You don't seem to have any leverage from your run-up into the delivery stride, by this I mean you just amble to the crease and then amble through it. Your run-up should be building to a release of the ball at the crease, so it needs to build to its maximum output by the time you get there.

You can get faster as you get older, it depends on your build through your teens and at what point you develop more physically.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You take off off your right foot and land on your right, Your left leg collapses in delivery. These are not terminal but they do make it tough to bowl quick as you kill all your momentum through the crease and the lower part of your body isnt naturally rotating to bring your right hip through.

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
You take off off your right foot and land on your right, Your left leg collapses in delivery. These are not terminal but they do make it tough to bowl quick as you kill all your momentum through the crease and the lower part of your body isnt naturally rotating to bring your right hip through.
You're right. I've watched a few videos of right arm pace bowlers in the last few days and the one thing I've seen about them is that when they are just about to JUMP, they jump using their left leg, the first leg that lands back down is the right and the left leg comes down after that extended with the foot almost touching the crease line. I've noticed (I'm right arm as well) that I jump with my right and also land on it while my left leg remains completely useless, well it actually kinda hinders my movement too to be honest. I feel that in my run up, I instinctively want to jump using my right leg instead of left, is this a big problem and how can I fix this??

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
You might find this page useful. It outlines a few common problems. Quintic 4 Education Sports Video Analysis Software Education Package

Although the angle of the camera is difficult, it looks like you're leaning back as you land, which will take away some of your momentum and it's most likely caused by raising your bowling arm up high over your head.

The hop, as others have already mentioned, is the biggest issue I would say, however.

Le Mac

Banned
If I had to use one word to describe your run-up it would be "woeful". Just completely off balance and generally terrible. My advice would be to take up another sport that requires less coordination and is more suited to gumbies.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
As others have said, biggest thing is the "hop". Cut out the run up and drill simply pushing off your left, landing on the right, then putting down the left again to get into your load-up/brace position. Stop the action at your pre-delivery gather and repeat. Focus on foot position and forget about actually bowling the ball to start with, then slowly bring in the rest of the action piece by piece. Don't add in the run up until you're completely comfortable with your action without it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
As others have said, biggest thing is the "hop". Cut out the run up and drill simply pushing off your left, landing on the right, then putting down the left again to get into your load-up/brace position. Stop the action at your pre-delivery gather and repeat. Focus on foot position and forget about actually bowling the ball to start with, then slowly bring in the rest of the action piece by piece. Don't add in the run up until you're completely comfortable with your action without it.

thumbs up to this advice