• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

avoiding nonroundersmanship

SLA

Cricket Spectator
This is actually quite an interesting question. There is nothing worse for a club cricket captain than a team full of all rounders who can't decide what they are and all want to bowl 6 when the opening bowlers have gone off and bowl 2nd change when the good batsmen are out.

As someone else said, as soon as you have 4-5 all-rounders in a team, it means there will inevitably be other blokes just fielding and scoring, which makes for a discontented cricket team. So really, what a captain wants is someone who is either a bowler who will bowl 10 tight overs and be happy batting in the bottom three, or a batsman who will score relatively quickly and not mind if he doesn't get a bowl.

So unless you are genuinely going to be one of the best batsmen AND one of the best bowlers, don't call yourself an all-rounder. I'd probably say I was a bowler, that way at least you can get a bit of a bat at 8-9 with a bit of luck.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This is actually quite an interesting question. There is nothing worse for a club cricket captain than a team full of all rounders who can't decide what they are and all want to bowl 6 when the opening bowlers have gone off and bowl 2nd change when the good batsmen are out.

As someone else said, as soon as you have 4-5 all-rounders in a team, it means there will inevitably be other blokes just fielding and scoring, which makes for a discontented cricket team. So really, what a captain wants is someone who is either a bowler who will bowl 10 tight overs and be happy batting in the bottom three, or a batsman who will score relatively quickly and not mind if he doesn't get a bowl.

So unless you are genuinely going to be one of the best batsmen AND one of the best bowlers, don't call yourself an all-rounder. I'd probably say I was a bowler, that way at least you can get a bit of a bat at 8-9 with a bit of luck.
Excellent post. my major issue is that bits and pieces players at club level are never ever any good at batting even though they claim and swear black and blue that they batted number 6 in high school or for their old team. They can, as they predicted however, be useful for a spell when the shine has gone off the ball. Most of the players I have met who told me they could do a bit of both averaged between 2 runs and 5 runs with the bat. In their defence we play against a 2 piece ball, on green tops, where you are doing well to average 20. A good team score in our grade is 150, and a commanding score is 200.

Last edited: