• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No ball -bowling off the wrong foot

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
If a right hand bowlers bowls off the wrong foot, letting go of the ball before the left foot lands, which foot should count as his front foot for a no ball?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If a right hand bowlers bowls off the wrong foot, letting go of the ball before the left foot lands, which foot should count as his front foot for a no ball?

The left foot counts as it would with a bowler with a more conventional action. The laws only mention the delivery stride. The order of foot landing and ball being released is not relevant.

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Goughy,

Thanks for the answer. It does come down to delivery stride.

Most people land on the right and then onto their left, lifting their right foot before the ball is released.
If your bowling off the wrong foot, then in some sense you land the left, then the right, and lift the left before before bowling.

It isnt just an academic question, my 12 year old bowls this way.
I did go to a coach but he ended up suggesting that it may be easier to get him to bowl left handed, as his feet just want to do what they do.
He actually generates a reasonable level of accuracy and pace form his action, and it looks quite a smooth action.
Had another coach look at his action, he commented that his body, arms etc are in good position.
He then mentioned that a couple of first class bowlers had bowled off the wrong foot and that fixing his feet would take a lot of work.

Anyway thanks for responding to my question

GirtBySea

U19 12th Man
It is an interesting one. Chris Harris of New Zealand did that for the majority of his career. He was a slow medium bowler not a tearaway quickie.

muskan

Cricket Spectator
I think a lot of the manufacturers make pass4sure 9tut ccnp
bats these days. My young bloke is a bit taller than you at 13 and has a GM small mens bat which is about 2 lb four or five. I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about the actual weight as much as I would about how the bat feels when it picks up. Some bats, because of the way they're weighted "pick up light" - they seem lighter than they actually are.