• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do I get a more fair chance to bowl for my team?

aidanw2000

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone, I'm a bit frustrated because I've played this entire season, batting twice (understandably as I'm a horrendous batsman) and bowling ONCE, IM A BOWLER!!!!!!! It's not like I'm a horrible bowler, last season I played 10 games took 8 wickets and my best figures were 2/8 of 3 overs. The one time I bowled this season I bowled a maiden and of the three overs I bowled I got hit for seven runs in total, I'm definitely not the best bowler in the team but I know I'm not the worst either. I come to training 90% of the time and I always do my best, so I just don't get why I never get a chance to bowl, I spend all my matches doing nothing but fielding, it's been like that for a while now. I haven't batted or bowled for around five matches. Does anyone have any advice that could help me out? Like what do I say to my coach without being rude.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Like what do I say to my coach without being rude.
Pretty much what you've said the thread title, without the word "fair". Depending on how old you are and what level of cricket you're playing, it's not really the coach's job to be 'fair'.

It is the coach's job to tell you what he wants of you though. Ask the coach what you need to improve on/demonstrate in order to get a chance to bowl.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much what you've said the thread title, without the word "fair". Depending on how old you are and what level of cricket you're playing, it's not really the coach's job to be 'fair'.

It is the coach's job to tell you what he wants of you though. Ask the coach what you need to improve on/demonstrate in order to get a chance to bowl.
I get the 'fair' comment but coaches at all levels have to develop players and play the game with an eye to maintaining interest. Unless you are playing top grade cricket then something should be done to make sure every player is involved. Even at high levels, if someone doesnt get a bat or a bowl then it is the coach's duty to explain to them why that happened. Before any of that though, the coach should also have taken the time to explain to every player what their role is in the team and the expectations.

It isn't fun not batting and bowling but sometimes it happens - it is occasionally unavoidable - but it is a huge commitment to give time for cricket to be disappointed on a continual basis. It is the coach's responsibility to communicate to his players.

Aidan, I feel for you. It is unfortunate. I would be indirect and ask the coach what he sees your role in the team as. Rather than challenging him, you can present it as you can perform better knowing what the expectations are. I would say something like - "Coach, I am interested in bowling more in games but I appreciate the good of the team is the number one priority. Can you tell me how you see my role in the team so I can focus on doing that to the best of my abilities and helping the team the best way possible."

Last edited:

aidanw2000

Cricket Spectator
I get the 'fair' comment but coaches at all levels have to develop players and play the game with an eye to maintaining interest. Unless you are playing top grade cricket then something should be done to make sure every player is involved. Even at high levels, if someone doesnt get a bat or a bowl then it is the coach's duty to explain to them why that happened. Before any of that though, the coach should also have taken the time to explain to every player what their role is in the team and the expectations.

It isn't fun not batting and bowling but sometimes it happens - it is occasionally unavoidable - but it is a huge commitment to give time for cricket to be disappointed on a continual basis. It is the coach's responsibility to communicate to his players.

Aidan, I feel for you. It is unfortunate. I would be indirect and ask the coach what he sees your role in the team as. Rather than challenging him, you can present it as you can perform better knowing what the expectations are. I would say something like - "Coach, I am interested in bowling more in games but I appreciate the good of the team is the number one priority. Can you tell me how you see my role in the team so I can focus on doing that to the best of my abilities and helping the team the best way possible."

Thanks for the help mate, I'm in the under 14 team (even though I'm 14 because my birthday was after June 1st) but yeah I get no explanation as to why I don't bowl in matches, it's not just a couple of games in the season it's pretty much the entire season. I'd say I'm an average bowler for my team, but there are some people A LOT worse than me who bowl and it's starting to get annoying, i feel like I'm invisible in my team during games. At training I get lots of help and advice but in a game I don't even get told where to field, I have to ask my teammates each time.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
I've had this happen to me. I was in horrendous form on a tour and on one of the games I wasn't even allowed to bowl.

Sucked it up, ask the coach why, and he told me it's because I looked like I was ****ting bricks on the field. He was afraid it would be a disaster if he let me bowl.

Gave me a pep talk, told me to keep my chin up, enjoy the game, and I got a bowl the next match.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Find a new club if you're not going to get the opportunities. That "it's not just about batting or bowling" is bull****. Not many people are willing to waste a whole day just to field.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly, but I think a lot of clubs in my area are the same
Where do you play in South Africa?

I coached for a couple of years in Pretoria and a number of my 'boys' have played provincial U19s and a few S.A. U'19s. I love the attitude of young SA cricketers but unfortunately a lot of coaches still expect the "Ja, baas" mentality from their players. It can be very frustrating.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Try being your old side's leading wicket taker with an average of <15, SR <24 and a best of 7/36 before moving to a new side and bowling 21 balls in 4 seasons. In that time I went to University, changed to bowling seam up and opened the bowling for the 2nd XI.
Still can't get a spell on a Saturday no matter how well I bowl in the nets.
Sigh.