• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Struggling to bowl offbreak

test cricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I have watched about two dozens youtube videos and i now know the grip off an offbreak but the problem is the release i just dont get how im supposed to manouvre my right hand and especially the fingers my right arm is generally at 11 oclock my right hand moves from right to left but how to manouvre the ball using the fingers is the problem so simple videos or pictures of the rotation of the ball in the fingers would help also does anyone know of any good reputable websites for cricket newbies

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a really good one from Mallett iirc. Not what you're looking for but it's useful nonetheless.

test cricketer

I watched mohamed hafeez tredwell and craig and i think ive got the action sorted but im not sure anyways i grip the tennis ball(still saving for a proper ball) with three fingers index finger down the side middle on top ring finger together with pinkey on the other side since my hands are small and i then move my right hand from right to left clockwise and my index finger sort of goes up and flicks the ball while the middle and ring finger go down and dont do so much on the ball( i will try to use my freinds phone to make a video or take pictures)

test cricketer

Thanks daemon youre a real help i was wondering if you could help me with my action but if you cant that is okay youve already helped me out a lot i watched mohamed hafeez tredwell and craig and i think ive got the action sorted but im not sure anyways i grip the tennis ball(still saving for a proper ball) with three fingers index finger down the side middle on top ring finger together with pinkey on the other side since my hands are small and i then move my right hand from right to left clockwise and my index finger sort of goes up and flicks the ball while the middle and ring finger go down and dont do so much on the ball( i will try to use my freinds phone to make a video or take pictures)

cnerd123

likes this
Hafeez is a horrible action to try and emulate. And personally, I don't like Tredwell's action.

Craig is okay. Hop onto youtube and watch some Sehwag, Swann, Lyon, Suraj Randiv...much better actions IMO.

Don't use too many fingers, and don't use a tennis ball. It's completely different from bowling with a regular cricket ball.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Really? Whenever I bowl wrist spin it's either a massive legside full toss or a triple bouncing ball that rolls off the pitch on the offside. The up and over action with the offbreak took me a couple of years to get going properly but I can at least land it with some consistency.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I've bowled too much wrist spin to actually be capable of bowling an offie; my wrist rotates too much so I end up bowling non-turning overspinners or pseudo-doosras.

cnerd123

likes this
Eh, i've bowled both and can bowl both without too much issue. But i'm not a massive spinner of the ball eitherway. Had a phase when I was younger when I couldn't stop bowling the googly but got over that eventually by watching youtube videos and just chucking down legbreaks before moving on to bowling them.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They're both pretty bad, but I can actually get good revs on by chinamans while landing it on the pitch 9/10 times. With finger spinners I either just bowl cutters which are easy enough but don't count, or if I actually try to turn it they end up halfway down the pitch. The wrist action feels far more natural, I can really throw the body into it. I'm mostly a pace bowler so that maybe has something to do with it.

cnerd123

likes this
I get what you mean, I also feel that offbreaks are harder to spin than legbreaks. It's why there as so few high-quality offies out there; and the ones who get good revs have fairly un-orthodox grips or bent arms.