• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricket bat?

BigFloppyBanana

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to buy a cricket bat as I have started playing again recently, though it's been a long time since I last played and so I could do with some advice on what equipment is best to buy. As I'm only just starting again I don't want to go mad in budget as if I don't take to the sport then I'll just have wasted a load of cash! Anyway I have found to bats that struck me as seeming okay...remember I'm no professional here - I was pretty good when I used to play but certainly in need of some practice at the moment, and so I chose these bats based on that. I'll simply write the bat specs below and you guys can give me your opinion on what way to go - all opinions are appreciated as I could really use the advice right now :)

Slazenger V1200 Fusion Cricket Bat - £50

> Low-mid blade profile
> Grade 3 English Willow construction
> Semi-oval 12 piece cane handle
> Xtreme Edge profile
> Indian style bow
> Tapered toe
> Flat/rounded face
> OctoPlus grip
> Pre knocked in and IPS toe guard fitted
> Weight: 2lb 8oz – 2lb 14oz

link - Slazenger | Slazenger V1200 Fusion Cricket Bat | Cricket Bats

Gray Nicholls Venom 550 Cricket Bat - £56

> Grade A Premium English Willow construction with natural finish
> Mid/low blade bow
> Mid/low blade sweet spot
> Low blade profile
> Double texture zone grip
> Gray-Nicolls pre prepared
> Toe guard fitted
> Weight: 2lb 8oz - 2lb 12oz

link - http://www.sportsdirect.com/gray-nicolls-venom-550-cricket-bat-851066?colcode=85106690

I'm assuming people will say to go with the Gray Nicholls based on the Willow grade etc, my only problem is I've never liked them as a brand...and in comparison to the slazenger I think it's quite ugly. Then again I guess it's all about the function after all ;)

Cheers guys for the help

- Jack

Last edited:

SLA

Cricket Spectator
Hi guys,

I'm currently looking to buy a cricket bat as I have started playing again recently, though it's been a long time since I last played and so I could do with some advice on what equipment is best to buy. As I'm only just starting again I don't want to go mad in budget as if I don't take to the sport then I'll just have wasted a load of cash! Anyway I have found to bats that struck me as seeming okay...remember I'm no professional here - I was pretty good when I used to play but certainly in need of some practice at the moment, and so I chose these bats based on that. I'll simply write the bat specs below and you guys can give me your opinion on what way to go - all opinions are appreciated as I could really use the advice right now :)

Slazenger V1200 Fusion Cricket Bat - £50

> Low-mid blade profile
> Grade 3 English Willow construction
> Xtreme Edge profile
> Indian style bow
> Tapered toe
> Flat/rounded face
> OctoPlus grip
> Pre knocked in and IPS toe guard fitted
> Weight: 2lb 8oz – 2lb 14oz

link - Slazenger | Slazenger V1200 Fusion Cricket Bat | Cricket Bats

Gray Nicholls Venom 550 Cricket Bat - £56

> Grade A Premium English Willow construction with natural finish
> Mid/low blade bow
> Mid/low blade sweet spot
> Low blade profile
> Double texture zone grip
> Gray-Nicolls pre prepared
> Toe guard fitted
> Weight: 2lb 8oz - 2lb 12oz

link - Gray Nicolls | Gray Nicolls Venom 550 Cricket Bat | Cricket Bats`

I'm assuming people will say to go with the Gray Nicholls based on the Willow grade etc, my only problem is I've never liked them as a brand...and in comparison to the slazenger I think it's quite ugly. Then again I guess it's all about the function after all ;)

Cheers guys for the help

- Jack

I would recommend go to a shop and pick them up, have a good look at them. I look for a light bat but with good thick edges and toe. Most of the specs are largely meaningless.

I got a new bat this weekend, I was all set to buy a GM but I just picked up this Kookaburra and went "wow, that feels great". So the kookaburra it was.

Nothing worse than shelling out £50+ on a bat and then finding you just don't like the feel of it.