• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

weight training

ak47

Cricket Spectator
i m batsmen and wicket keeper. the only query i have is should i do weight training during off season. i want to increase my strength and power but i dont wanna grow big like a bodybuilder, n i also dnt wanna loose my flexibility. i have heard many people saying u shudnt do weight training where as some say that weight training is beneficial. what should i do please give me some suggestion.

P.S.- V DNT HV A OFF SEASON TRAINING CAMP HERE IN MY CITY

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Idk if it's ok to suggest another site, but have a look at the fitness forum at **********, some of the guys over there are knowledgeable with this kind of stuff, Pitchvision is a good bet too.

I'm not certified so I won't say much, but make sure your training is specific. This means no stupid isolation exercises, opt for full-bodies instead of bodypart splits. Just my 2-cents for now, hope it helps a bit.

EDIT: Weight training is very beneficial as long as it is done with correct technique, good supervision and is centred to make you functional for your sport/sports.

Last edited:

Riggins

International Captain
Do as much lower body and a core work as you can. The idea that by going to the gym you will look like a body builder couldn't be further from the truth.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
i m batsmen and wicket keeper. the only query i have is should i do weight training during off season. i want to increase my strength and power but i dont wanna grow big like a bodybuilder, n i also dnt wanna loose my flexibility. i have heard many people saying u shudnt do weight training where as some say that weight training is beneficial. what should i do please give me some suggestion.

P.S.- V DNT HV A OFF SEASON TRAINING CAMP HERE IN MY CITY
I can't help but lol @ people who say this; getting a physique like that comes from years of dedicated training, extremely disciplined dieting and perhaps the use of chemical enhancements. You absolutely CANNOT go into the gym to gain a bit of strength during the offseason and accidentally end up looking like Mr. Olympia!

My recommendation would be that it doesn't really matter that you do. Regardless of whether you do stronglifts 5x5, a 5-3-1 powerlifting routine, crossfit or one of many 'bodybuilding' routines you will gain strength. Just make sure you stay consistent with that routine, aiming for progressive overload by each week increasing either the weight of your lifts, number of reps or decreasing the amount of rest between sets. Also try to eat a balanced diet, but don't get caught up concerning yourself with broscience.

If I had to choose a routine to recommend, I would suggest stronglifts 5x5 (Google it :) )

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I can't help but lol @ people who say this; getting a physique like that comes from years of dedicated training, extremely disciplined dieting and perhaps the use of chemical enhancements. You absolutely CANNOT go into the gym to gain a bit of strength during the offseason and accidentally end up looking like Mr. Olympia!

My recommendation would be that it doesn't really matter that you do. Regardless of whether you do stronglifts 5x5, a 5-3-1 powerlifting routine, crossfit or one of many 'bodybuilding' routines you will gain strength. Just make sure you stay consistent with that routine, aiming for progressive overload by each week increasing either the weight of your lifts, number of reps or decreasing the amount of rest between sets. Also try to eat a balanced diet, but don't get caught up concerning yourself with broscience.

If I had to choose a routine to recommend, I would suggest stronglifts 5x5 (Google it :) )
I'm on stronglifts and I'm loving it. Good stuff.