• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Polycoated bat face?

SamW

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

Just starting out for a local village team after not playing since I was 14 (now 25). Just gone to look for a bat but I'm puzzled by the ''fake faced'' polycoated bat.

My real problem is that I really like this bat (Kookaburra) but the poly coated face sits a little uneasy in my mind, Why cover the willow? How does this effect batting and if for example the poly came away from the bat, can you take it off and sand down (lightly!) the glue and oil the bat as you would with a natural faced bat?

Regards, Sam.

Meridio

International Regular
The coating is to protect the face of the bat - particularly from cheap, rock-hard balls that are common in club cricket trainings. It doesn't affect batting at all; I certainly haven't noticed a reduction in power or anything in my bats. You can take the coating off, sand it down and re-coat - I had that done to two bats after 2-3 seasons each.

I've had my last three bats covered (since I was about 16. I'm now 27) and I'd thoroughly recommend it. The bat I had before then is absolutely covered in surface cracks, and I only had it for about three years. Since then my bats have lasted about five years each.

SamW

Cricket Spectator
The coating is to protect the face of the bat - particularly from cheap, rock-hard balls that are common in club cricket trainings. It doesn't affect batting at all; I certainly haven't noticed a reduction in power or anything in my bats. You can take the coating off, sand it down and re-coat - I had that done to two bats after 2-3 seasons each.

I've had my last three bats covered (since I was about 16. I'm now 27) and I'd thoroughly recommend it. The bat I had before then is absolutely covered in surface cracks, and I only had it for about three years. Since then my bats have lasted about five years each.
Cheers MERIDIO, that's quite reassuring to know, Been and looked at a few more today and was surprised just how many bats were poly coated. At least I can take to the field not worrying about if my Bat is any good.

Much appreciated advice.