• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shopping spree

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
I'm about to start my first actual season of matches (and very excited about it). I've started as a mature cricketer (started at 25, one season just nets, now getting matches) and I need some equipment. Mainly I'm worried about shoes. I'll be playing on both proper and astro wickets. That means I'll need rubber shoes and true spikes. But do I need bowling and batting spikes? Is there anything I should be looking for in a pair of spikes? I should also say I'm in Scotland so there is no chance of me trying anything on - it's going to have to be online.

The other thing is bat care. I've got a bat, but I'm not sure how I should be looking after it. I've read that pre-season I should remove the scuff guard, sand, oil and re-apply the scuff guard. Would you advise this - I've also heard that if I have a guard I don't need to worry about oiling? Confused!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i will only answer a couple of your questions as i don't wear spikes (the guys in my team though just one wear one set for batting and bowling but that is low grade stuff).

Don't remove the toe guard it will be tough to put it back on again.

My understanding is that if it comes with a plastic sheet on it - that is it - just knock it in. don't think about removing the plastic sheet to apply oil. If you are determined to oil your bat buy one without a plastic sheet on the face.

I don't know if I have understood all of your questions correctly - as you were using scuff guard and guard interchangeably and i presume you meant different things each time.

There are some EXCELLENT posts in this forum about how to oil a bat and how to knock one in. Don't do what they other fellow did and walk into a game after 6 hours of knocking it in or it will break. Read here first.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Good show.

Just to reinforce my point. After using a ball mallett or ball in a sock for hours on end. Graduate to someone bowling an old ball to you in the nets and don't whack it. Just guide the ball around for the first session. Get more and more adventurous with each session.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've been researching this to make sure i wasn't leading you astray. The manufacturer of the bat should oil it prior to placing the plastic on the bat face. You may like to double check this was done.

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
With the bat I've currently got, that's going to be pretty difficult. Being a beginner, I just got myself a second hand bat to tide me over. After this season I'll probably be getting a new bat and I'll make sure I check what's been done. Cheers.

Riggins

International Captain
I personally feel like knocking in a bat is pretty much a waste of time. If it breaks in less than a year they'll replace it and if it doesn't then it's good to go.

SLA

Cricket Spectator
I'm about to start my first actual season of matches (and very excited about it). I've started as a mature cricketer (started at 25, one season just nets, now getting matches) and I need some equipment. Mainly I'm worried about shoes. I'll be playing on both proper and astro wickets. That means I'll need rubber shoes and true spikes. But do I need bowling and batting spikes? Is there anything I should be looking for in a pair of spikes? I should also say I'm in Scotland so there is no chance of me trying anything on - it's going to have to be online.

The other thing is bat care. I've got a bat, but I'm not sure how I should be looking after it. I've read that pre-season I should remove the scuff guard, sand, oil and re-apply the scuff guard. Would you advise this - I've also heard that if I have a guard I don't need to worry about oiling? Confused!
Footwear:

You need one set of full metal spikes for wet weather, and a pair of normal sports trainers for dry weather or astroturf pitches. Personally I tend to prefer to bat in spikes most of the time but bowl and field in trainers unless its actually wet but thats just my personal preference. If you have a pair of each, then you will have every eventuality covered. The number of people I see trying to bowl in trainers on a greasy damp pitch and just slipping all over the place, its just stupid.

Bat:

I wouldn't take the scuff guard off, it'll never stick back on very well. The whole point of having a faceguard on your bat is that you don't need to oil the damn thing.

One thing I would strongly recommend: if you've bought an expensive bat (ie £80+), DO NOT use it in winter nets. Its not worth it. Buy a cheap bat for £30 from sports direct as a nets bat of roughly the same size and weight. 90% of bats break in winter nets, and there is absolutely no advantage to using a decent bat inside.

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
That's good advice, cheers. I'm thinking of getting a new bat for next season - a little present for myslf following my first full season of matches - so I'll use the current bat I've got as a practice bat. In terms of footwear I've now got a proper set of spikes and astros/ trainers for when we play on synthetic wickets (I totally forgot about the astros I had but they've come in useful). I think I'm good to go - a proper example of having all the gear and no idea!