• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Coming to the game from baseball

DBieling

Cricket Spectator
Hello gentlemen, i am a current lifelong baseball player moving from the US to Mallorca this spring. Effective batter, predominantly
catching ( wicketkeeper ) , fit 52 yo . Looking for some direction to gain a working knowledge of the game and rules before presenting myself at the local club and attempting to negotiate a tryout.
From what I can see I would be too aggressive with the bat and a litle hindered in fielding by lack of experience in not using equipment ( glove, mitt )
Will be visiting the UK for several weeks enroute and would be buying gear and attempting to participate in any local, informal sessions that I could find.
Any thoughts appreciated , thanks for looking

Cheers,Dave

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hey Dave, do you by chance happen to know about intentional four balls in baseball? Any videos that showcase such a phenomenon?

DingDong

State Captain
possibly reading wikipedia entry on the rules and then actually watching a game or two is the way to go. i think the fundamentals of both the sports are roughly similar (watching the ball, running and catching with gloves) so u should be okay. good luck!

fcmonk

Cricket Spectator
Bumping/hijacking this thread. I'm in the US looking to get involved in cricket. There are some clubs local to me. I live in the NE so things are pretty much shut down until Spring. What can I do to prepare for playing? I played a fair amount of baseball, am I'm pretty good shape for a 40 year old, but realize that there are significant differences in the two. I just don't want to approach a club in spring starting from square one. Thanks!