• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ways to stop getting out "Bowled"

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys, 14 year old here, and this season has been alright for me, I'm an opener and this season I've gotten 59, 8, 2 and 1. Just one thing that's concerning me is that I've been bowled in all those innings, the 59 didn't concern me too much, as the coach told me to go for a hack for quick runs, but the other innings I've been bowled on low scores. Yes, before I get told "Bat next to pad" I do that, and all these wickets have been playing a defensive shot, bar the 59. So, any ideas?

Cheers

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
A whole boatload more information is needed here if we're going to be able to offer anything helpful. Bowled through the gate, or past the outside edge, for starters?

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys, sorry, should of put more info, was in a rush :)

Yep, to pace bowlers and past the outside edge...although i'm not too sure if this thread was necessary, as the last 2 times the ball hit a crack and jagged back in but yeah :P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Not a lot of info but I would wager that you are not getting fully forward.
This, probably coupled with a strong bottom hand leaving the bat out of line with the ball, is the likely diagnosis.

I am, nevertheless, intrigued as to how you can get bowled past the outside edge by one that comes back in.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This, probably coupled with a strong bottom hand leaving the bat out of line with the ball, is the likely diagnosis.

I am, nevertheless, intrigued as to how you can get bowled past the outside edge by one that comes back in.
Isn't that exactly what happened to Cook today? Granted, it is rare.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Isn't that exactly what happened to Cook today? Granted, it is rare.
Haven't seen it yet; descriptions I've read have said "swung in and then seamed away".

Either way, would be surprised to see bowling like that against Flinders Park U15s.

EDIT: Now seen it, and fairly sure it cut away from Cook who was playing the line (middle/middle-and-leg) down which it was swinging, before it nipped away a fraction to take middle-and-off.

Last edited:

The Coach

Cricket Spectator
Were you playing forward or back?
Where were your feet in the stance? [distance apart and alignment]
What guard do you bat off?
Were you stood still at point of ball release? [ie any trigger movement fully completed]
Is your stance stood upright or crouched?
Are you eyes level at all times?

All of the above could be assessed much easier in a 3 second video clip.

slowerball

Cricket Spectator
hey guys, sorry for the late reply

Haha, maybe I am Dravid ;)

You know, i'm actually not quite sure if its gone past the outside edge or through the gate, it just happens in a flash really.

Were you playing forward or back? Attempting to play forward, but as Goughy said, probs didn't get forward enough.

Where were your feet in the stance? [distance apart and alignment] Good question this, as I might start a thread to do with this, at the time of getting bowled, I had a narrow stance, maybe a foot and a half apart, with feet straight to point.

What guard do you bat off? Middle Stump

Were you stood still at point of ball release? [ie any trigger movement fully completed] I take half a step forward at release, puts me in a position to drive and quickly go on the backfoot if needed

Is your stance stood upright or crouched? Mostly upright....a little cramped due to back problems
Are you eyes level at all times? Yep, been working on it for the last 2 years, having the eyes straight and level looking at the ball.

cheers :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If you want any real precise info then a video clip is really the best thing to put together.

All I can really say from what you've posted is that if you don't know if you're getting beaten on the inside or outside edge, then it doesn't sound like you're watching the ball closely enough.