• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice for somebody looking to get into competitive cricket...

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Hey guys, sorry if this thread has already been done one million times.

I love cricket, and I've been keen to play competitively for quite a while. For the last few years I've said "I'll practice in the nets/backyard all winter and play next year when I am better", however I just realised that I am never going to reach this magic state of 'better' and I just need to find myself some kind of lower-grade club and throw myself into it.

I'm not even sure what kind of tips I am after here...but can anybody give me some pointers of what I should work on, what to expect, anything in particular I should do etc? I am 22 years old, can bat a bit (albeit not strong playing off my pads) and bowl some relatively consistent, if not overly threatening offspin. I'm really passionate about getting involved somehow.

Thanks!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My one advice when starting cricket/going to a new club:

Tell them you're a bowler.

Everyone eventually gets a bat, but not everyone gets a bowl. You may start down the order, but if you go well enough they'll soon promote you, and even if your bowling is **** the captain/selectors will say "well he's a bowler so he'll bowl, but it's good that he can bat a bit too so we'll put him up the order"

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This isn't an endorsement for benchmark's post but it sort of agrees with it anyway.

Whatever you say you prefer - batting or bowling - don't say you "do a bit of both". We have turned away players from our club without looking at them who have told us that because invariably they are garbage at both. Also if you want to market yourself as a batsman do not describe yourself as a batter. That will also lead to you be put down as a fillin at best.

The only other rule I will give - is agree to go for a beer while you are new.

Good luck

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This isn't an endorsement for benchmark's post but it sort of agrees with it anyway.

Whatever you say you prefer - batting or bowling - don't say you "do a bit of both". We have turned away players from our club without looking at them who have told us that because invariably they are garbage at both. Also if you want to market yourself as a batsman do not describe yourself as a batter. That will also lead to you be put down as a fillin at best.

The only other rule I will give - is agree to go for a beer while you are new.

Good luck
I must admit that I a little bit of a snob in this regard but I always thought I was part of a dwindling minority and I have put my issues with the term 'batter' to one side. I dont think I have heard an Australian in person or on TV call a batsman a batsman in over 20 years. 'Batter' seems to be the grey squirrel.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Strange post.
I read Hurricane's post to mean that you should never introduce yourself as a 'batter' as you will be seen to be as someone not too serious about the sport and without the cricketing nous to call yourself a batsman. I was just commenting on batter vs batsman. Saying 'batter' is one step up from saying 'I hit sixers' but I am now less inclined to judge than I used to be. Perhaps I misinterpreted.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right I see I see. I get that, and ftr it annoys me when people say batter, but the strange part was how you said that you hadn't heard an Australian use the word batsman for 20 years.

Batsman is the term used 85% of the time in Australian television broadcasts, though in the past few years the term batter is becoming more prevalent which I've often thought is a product of political correctness and the growth* of womens cricket.

*its still ****.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Right I see I see. I get that, and ftr it annoys me when people say batter, but the strange part was how you said that you hadn't heard an Australian use the word batsman for 20 years.

Batsman is the term used 85% of the time in Australian television broadcasts, though in the past few years the term batter is becoming more prevalent which I've often thought is a product of political correctness and the growth* of womens cricket.

*its still ****.
I could be wrong about the Australian thing though it does stick in my head, for example, that both Gilchrist and Mark Taylor use it a lot.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Thanks a bunch for all the advice. I've chatted to a friend who plays, and I'm going to train with his team on Thursday. I'm feeling a bit nervous as I consider myself a bit of a reverse all-rounder, but I figure that facing and bowling to different people in the nets and playing in match situations will help me improve much quicker.

I'll keep you all updated.