• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long post, becoming a medium pacer?!?

scotto7

Cricket Spectator
Hello all

Firstly, the bad news. I'm 35!!

...and want to get back to playing club cricket in England :-)

If you read the pre-amble section far below it has some info on my background.

Basically, I'm 1.77m tall, about 77kg and quite strong\fit, and I really want to put the effort into becoming a reasonable Saturday league cricketer in the UK. The standard is variable, but at a club that has 5 teams for instance, with some ex county players in the first team, I'd like to make a 3rd team player and contribute.

What methods do I need to follow to get a good chance of being a solid medium pace bowler by April 2014 (I am thinking 65-75mph range and consistently hitting a spot)? I have a bit of cricket background but I need technical help I think. I have got the means to practise, I just need some help on how to approach training & practise and an idea of what is achievable over a 6 month period.

How long is a piece of string I hear you say!!

I'll buy whatever gadgets are needed to assist my training....and TRY get a coach! Believe me, I have tried the latter...I am finding it almost impossible to get responses back from coaches willing to work with a 35 year old ;-)

So, what can I achieve in 6 months?!

Scott

Pre-amble and background:

I have played tennis for 25 years, got to Country representative level at Under-18. Still play Premier Div level on the club scene, so I have a bit of sporting background.

In the middle of all those tennis years, I managed to play league cricket on and off from 19-24. I have had zero coaching in cricket, but was told I had some ability as a bowler and batter. However, because of no coaching or real technique, my game was all instinct and to be honest, never really came off. I could bowl with *a bit of pace* pace according to Saturday league players and University players (no idea how fast though) and could hit a long ball, but it would only look good and was NOT effective in league cricket, because there was NO consistency.

I want to play some league cricket now, and be more effective.