• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can anyone give me some useful advice?

long hop

Cricket Spectator
Hello everyone, i'm naturally ambidextrous and have found that i am capable of batting either left or right handed, however my club are pushing me to pick one and stick with it. Personally it feels more natural to my technique to bat right handed, but my right eye is far more dominant and i have always had better timing and placement of shot when batting left handed... does anyone have any recommendations as to what i should do? any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks for your time :D

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Look longhop on a serious note - we can't answer it all depends. How much better is your timing with your left hand - how much further can you hit it right handed. Only you can decide these things.

If it is any help to you at all the one ambidextrous person I knew chose to bat left handed as although he had less power he could make a connection with the ball more consistently.

long hop

Cricket Spectator
Thanks hurricane, i posted this mainly to see if anyone had any experience with a similar sort of issue and what they had done. My right handed shots are a lot more powerful but that isn't particularly an issue as i don't tend to try and hit out very often anyway, it's just that my body feels a lot more natural in that stance, however batting left handed i do time the ball a lot better and actually hit it very consistently... it's really a matter of picking comfort at the crease or shot making :P

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Being a left handed batsman is an advantage. That advantage dissipates the higher a level you but it's certainly a big advantage in junior cricket and lower levels, and that could really give you a leg up, so if you can bat with both hands to a similar standard then I'd go left handed.

long hop

Cricket Spectator
Yet another factor i simply hadn't thought about, thank you very much PEWS, i'll definitely work on my left handed technique over the winter to try and become accustomed to it, then hopefully i'l gain selection for a few friendlies and be able to give it a proper try out.. Thanks for all your advice guys :) see you on the other threads :p