• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting Tips/Help

jacobg606

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering if you could help at all with my batting.

I've been out 7 times this season and been bowled 5 of the 7. Just wondering if you could give me any tips from that. Most of the time its been missing defensive strokes but its not happened before. Any tips at all?

Thanks a lot.

Replies would be much appreciated

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The most logical thing is throwdowns or machine work, drill drill drill on alignment and balance.

Also look at some shadow batting work in front of a mirror; check you're getting a full stride in, the bat is going back to off stump and coming down straight, you're not leaving a gate (bowled between bat & pad) and your hips aren't counter-rotating (end up with your back toe pointing down the wicket, bowled past the outside edge).

Also, watch the ball. Glib advice maybe, but critical!

jan

State Vice-Captain
Sorry to spoil your thread, jacob.
Neil, could you be more specific about the counter-rotating hips please?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Most relevant when you are playing through mid-off/cover or your lower body is aligning in a typically closed set-up with the front foot pointing to the off-side.

Your hips then need to be aligned with your lower body if things are to work properly; if your back heel twists and your back foot ends pointing down the wicket your hips will be aligned from gully through to midwicket, bringing your bat path down across rather than down the line of the ball.

Hope that makes sense; if it doesn't it's because it's 11pm.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
When I see people bowled when trying to defend, it's often because they're trying too hard to defend in a way that "looks" like a forward defensive than actually concentrating on hitting the ball. Especially people who are conscious of having been bowled a lot recently, you often see them focussing on what they "should" be doing rather than what actually works.

Often I think people would be better served to just focus on getting their bat to make contact with ball.
to do this:
1. Make sure you're balanced at the crease - i.e. your set up pre-delivery leaves you ready to play any delivery.

2. watch the ball.

3. Get your bat in the path of the ball.

Footwork, and that aesthetically pleasing forward press are less important and will probably come more as a natural consequence on just focusing on hitting the ball.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just wondering if you could help at all with my batting.

I've been out 7 times this season and been bowled 5 of the 7. Just wondering if you could give me any tips from that. Most of the time its been missing defensive strokes but its not happened before. Any tips at all?

Thanks a lot.

Replies would be much appreciated
Getting bowled off defensive shots usually happens when people forget the fundamental of batting. You either go forward or back. It really isn't too important which you choose as long as you pick one. So many people get trapped on the crease and get bowled playing defensively and make a decent ball look unplayable when it isn't

http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&r...G-pjEqbeW1YJ88N8VC0YBSA&bvm=bv.47883778,d.bmk