• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any tips?

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hey guys and girls,
I'm new here but definitely not new to the sport. I've been playing cricket for 13 years now and I'm only 20!

Started playing in my older brothers under 10 side as a seven year old and the score book (my memorabilia) shows I was constantly in the top 3 run scorers and top bowlers too! Not bad for playing 3 years up at that age..

Anyway, I've got a few videos from a net session I did in the winter.. It's now the beginning of the season and already got a couple of centuries under my belt. I bat number 3 incase anybody wondered/cared.

Batting Practice Jason (1) - YouTube

Batting Practice Jason (2) - YouTube

Batting Practice Jason (3) - YouTube

Batting Practice Jason (4) - YouTube

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Couple of things I'm noticing from a first glance:

1. In the first video at least, your footwork is rather minimal - front foot goes down on about middle-and-off and you play from there - meaning your hands are away from the body, you lose control over where the ball is going (and don't make the most of your power). And it leaves you vulnerable if a bowler who can bring it back off the pitch.

There's a shot you play around the two minute mark that shows this - you've sent a ball from outside off through squarish midwicket with a defensive shot - it's possibly come back a touch (or you've played down the wrong line), and with any thinner an edge it would have crashed through the gap into the pegs.

2. As a continuation from this, you seem a little imbalanced at the crease, seen by shuffling forward a few steps after every shot. Now this may be a conscious choice to get you prepared to run, I don't know, but that suggests to me that you're feeling for the ball and, as such, playing it out in front of you instead of under the eyes.

Your head positioning is good though - eyes on the ball and over the line of it, but I just get the feeling you need to cover the line with your feet more, and play fractionally later.

J_asonR

Awesome, thanks Dan.

This, incidentally, was filmed quite a while ago and I think it was the first net session back after a long winter. I'll try get some up-to-date footage with a friend of mine and compare the two.

I definitely understand about the foot movement though, it's always been a struggle being quite a big lad, so I've managed to some how adapt to playing away from the body (bad habit). I will get in the nets and work on this before getting into the meaty part of the season, which I'm so excited for!

Got my second Saturday game this week so hopefully will get some decent runs on the board and feel good about this season! :D

jacobg606

Cricket Spectator
Battings tips

Just wondering if you could help.

Been out 7 times so far this season and 5 of them I have been bowled. I was just wondering if you have any tips?

Thanks a lot.

Reply would be appreciated.

J_asonR

Front foot.. Like the above image, my front foot is out of line, leaving a possibility of inside edge onto stumps or if the ball was straighter the possibility of being clean bowled...

If you feel like your front foot positioning is okay, I'd check your head positioning.. This should pretty much be above that front foot..

Hope this helps a bit..