• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Confidence as a starter

Phate06

Cricket Spectator
Hi there

I am fairly new to playing the game, dad used to play years ago, and apart from that I have had no experience in playing cricket. Last year I joined my girlfriends dads team, and played a few friendlys, done some bowling as well and really enjoyed myself. At Xmas my whole family brought me everything I need, you name it i have it, ready for the new season which starts in 2 weeks.

The thing is, I think I have done to much reading up and watching you tube clips, as all of a sudden my confidence has been shot to pieces, and I am dreading facing fast balls.

How can I ensure this confidence, which I had last season, returns without the fear of being hit by the ball, or making a fool of myself in games.

Thank you in advance for your comments

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Seeing as you're a beginner, I seriously doubt you'll be up against bowlers anywhere near the pace of those you've been watching. It's natural to **** yourself watching them because they're the the top .001% of cricketers. You'll be fine.

Phate06

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for that I didn't think of it like that. I am only playing in league 5 of a village league so yes I suppose the calibre of bowling is not going to be that fast.

Thank you, I suppose once I'm out there and I'm hitting the balls my confidence will increase 8-)

Phate06

Cricket Spectator
Well If that's the kind I reply I expect to get here, I think I will go elsewhere. I have not come here to have the piss taken out of me, just for some helpful and friendly advice.

What a way to welcome someone new

SLA

Cricket Spectator
The pace of most amateur bowlers is such that it won't really hurt even if it does hit you. If I had a £1 for every time I've been hit by a cricket ball whilst batting I'd have several hundred quid. None of them every really hurt, and the bruises fade after a few weeks.

Just get yer head down and get right in line from ball 1 to ball 101.

Phate06

Cricket Spectator
The pace of most amateur bowlers is such that it won't really hurt even if it does hit you. If I had a £1 for every time I've been hit by a cricket ball whilst batting I'd have several hundred quid. None of them every really hurt, and the bruises fade after a few weeks.

Just get yer head down and get right in line from ball 1 to ball 101.
Thanks for the comments, they have been helpful

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In all seriousness though mate, I highly doubt you have to worry about getting hit by someone who's quick enough to do you any damage in 5th grade village cricket. From my experience, the chances of you even getting on a deck over there that allows as much bounce to occur as you've seen on youtube clips is very unlikely, especially in 5th grade. The chances of anyone being quick enough is even lower.

My tips are:

1) Get behind the ball, if you're backing away you have a better chance of being hit.
2) Stop thinking like an Englishman :ph34r:
3) If the above fails, source yourself a jousting outfit and wear that to the crease.
4) If you decide you want matching jousting sticks take a look on here : Trading Post - Online and Mobile Classifieds

Good luck!

Edit: By the way, you're not Ian Bell are you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How can I ensure this confidence, which I had last season, returns without the fear of being hit by the ball, or making a fool of myself in games.

Thank you in advance for your comments
Being new to cricket you may not have been around the game and the players too much.

The only thing I want to mention is to reassure you that the two issues you mention are common among many cricketers - even top quality ones.

Only the rare ones have no fear of the ball and no fear of failure.

Appreciate that this is normal and just go out and have fun without fear of thinking you are different. :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have one, it feels to big though, will ask the guys at the club whether it look to big. It doesn't seem to sit right on me bonce:laugh:
Do be careful though. Being new to a helmet frequently means you can't turn you head quite the same way in your stance compared to without a helmet and that can lead to your left elbow tucking into your left hip and that ****s your technique.

Be aware of it and where your left elbow goes - assuming you are right handed. Balance what is worse, getting out or getting hit. I'm firmly in the former camp. Those who bat best with helmets are brought up using them. They are not easy to adapt to at a later age - at least not without implications to your form.

SLA

Cricket Spectator
Do be careful though. Being new to a helmet frequently means you can't turn you head quite the same way in your stance compared to without a helmet and that can lead to your left elbow tucking into your left hip and that ****s your technique.

Be aware of it and where your left elbow goes - assuming you are right handed. Balance what is worse, getting out or getting hit. I'm firmly in the former camp. Those who bat best with helmets are brought up using them. They are not easy to adapt to at a later age - at least not without implications to your form.
I had to wear a helmet for one season because it became compulsory. In that season my average dropped from the 40s to the 20s, I got concussion and a broken thumb, and numerous bruises all over my hips, shoulders, chest. I just couldn't pick up the ball and my technique disappeared and anything short just crashed straight into me before I could see it.

In no other season of cricket have I ever got injured whilst batting. I would not recommend wearing a helmet unless a) you've been wearing one since you were a kid and are used to it, or b) you're playing high standard of cricket with 75mph+ bowlers on hard bouncy pitches.