Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confidence as a starter

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    wear a helmet for added confidence.
    I have one, it feels to big though, will ask the guys at the club whether it look to big. It doesn't seem to sit right on me bonce

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Get one that's the right size then. If it doesn't feel right then it isn't right.
    Exit pursuing a beer

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate06 View Post
    I have one, it feels to big though, will ask the guys at the club whether it look to big. It doesn't seem to sit right on me bonce
    Do be careful though. Being new to a helmet frequently means you can't turn you head quite the same way in your stance compared to without a helmet and that can lead to your left elbow tucking into your left hip and that ****s your technique.

Be aware of it and where your left elbow goes - assuming you are right handed. Balance what is worse, getting out or getting hit. I'm firmly in the former camp. Those who bat best with helmets are brought up using them. They are not easy to adapt to at a later age - at least not without implications to your form.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Guess there was a deleted post. Missed it
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

SLA
    Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Do be careful though. Being new to a helmet frequently means you can't turn you head quite the same way in your stance compared to without a helmet and that can lead to your left elbow tucking into your left hip and that ****s your technique.

Be aware of it and where your left elbow goes - assuming you are right handed. Balance what is worse, getting out or getting hit. I'm firmly in the former camp. Those who bat best with helmets are brought up using them. They are not easy to adapt to at a later age - at least not without implications to your form.
    I had to wear a helmet for one season because it became compulsory. In that season my average dropped from the 40s to the 20s, I got concussion and a broken thumb, and numerous bruises all over my hips, shoulders, chest. I just couldn't pick up the ball and my technique disappeared and anything short just crashed straight into me before I could see it.

In no other season of cricket have I ever got injured whilst batting. I would not recommend wearing a helmet unless a) you've been wearing one since you were a kid and are used to it, or b) you're playing high standard of cricket with 75mph+ bowlers on hard bouncy pitches.

Well, having thought about this, I think I have blown it all out of proportion, I won't be facing anyone who will bowl that fast because:
    A) I am usually middle to end in batting so I won't be facing the best bowlers
    B) we are a village team playing 40 overs on a Sunday not the IPL or first class cricket

Apart from the youngsters in the team who have grown up wearing them, there is only one other in my team who wears one, and that is only because his brother it hit by the ball, thrown by a fielder trying to run him out.

Thank you for all your advise, friendlys start on Sunday so lets see how it goes this year

jan
    No hurry with the helmet. Just wait untill you get hit on the head and then buy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, right-arm crap bowler, dropper of sitters, grainy streams watcher

Another advice:

If anything, the place where you're most probably going to be hit badly is not in a game while batting, it's in the nets. Never, never, never get distracted in the nets, turning your back to the batsman while chatting to the other members is a too common mistake. And be wary if the nets are built right, I've been hit on the nose while bowling at the end of my follow through* by an on drive which came out as a lightning from the net at the side (there was a hole). Not really a pleasurable experience, let me tell you.

*careful also while bowling, keep focusing on the ball: return drives might be a lot worse than anything you'll face as a batsman
    It's the pitch, stupid.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate06 View Post
    Another piece of advice - timing is the key when asking someone if your helmet looks big.

Standing by the side of the nets with your just worn helmet in your hand = good timing.

Standing in the showers after the net session = bad timing.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Another piece of advice - timing is the key when asking someone if your helmet looks big.

Standing by the side of the nets with your just worn helmet in your hand = good timing.

Standing in the showers after the net session = bad timing.

Thanks for making me laugh my cuppa over my Keyboard

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Гурин View Post
    Another advice:

*careful also while bowling, keep focusing on the ball: return drives might be a lot worse than anything you'll face as a batsman
    Aint that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Healing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information