• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arm ball or slider

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi, I'm an offie who has a decent stock ball and a poorly disguised carrom ball.
I need a ball that goes straight on without turning, but not with the seam pointing straight. I want to disguise it well, any tips?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hi, I'm an offie who has a decent stock ball and a poorly disguised carrom ball.
I need a ball that goes straight on without turning, but not with the seam pointing straight. I want to disguise it well, any tips?
Bowl the stock offie with a scrambled seam. It doesn't get simpler than that. Not as ***y as a carrom ball but still has to be played.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Your question here takes away the main method of bowling a well disguised arm ball.

Ideally you should point the seam towards slips and impart spin but keeping the seam pointing towards slips through the flight of the ball. if you are lucky the ball will hold its line when it lands.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Off break a scrambled seam one
2. Off roller than a off break will act as a slider
3. Tilt the axis of rotation so the shiny side hits the pitch. Off breaks will go straight once this happens.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
So as others have said there's a solid variety of ways. The least obvious one IMO is where you deliver the ball with the fingers spinning around or down the outside of the ball, rather than over the top as with a stock offie. The axis of rotation will be perpendicular to the pitch so will often skid due to the lack of the usual over-spin which helps the stock ball grip and turn.

SLA

Cricket Spectator
very few people bowl the arm ball anymore, its just too easy to pick as the angle of the seam is extremely obvious to the batsman. Sliders are far more effective.

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
Try Graeme Swann's flying saucer ball, it isn't easy to pick and is very effective if you bowl quite fast through the air. Ever tried the doosra? No. Okay, I don't blame you...
You could bowl your usual off breaks from very wide of the crease, then bowl from close to the stumps and angle the ball slightly across, trying to drift it as much as you can which should make the ball skid if you only use side-spin on this particular delivery?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, this thread again, well thanks for the advice peeps, what I've found is that the "flying saucer" ball I can't do because I get the release all wrong, so I generally just bowl a faster ball with all sidespin that sometimes turns a bit but often just skids on, it beats the batsmen more for pace than lack of turn though. I've also found that over-rotating on the pivot combined with a slightly faster pace and high overspin as opposed to sidespin can make for a very effective arm ball when done right, but I'm still working on it.

45DegreeOBS

Cricket Spectator
Ah, this thread again, well thanks for the advice peeps, what I've found is that the "flying saucer" ball I can't do because I get the release all wrong, so I generally just bowl a faster ball with all sidespin that sometimes turns a bit but often just skids on, it beats the batsmen more for pace than lack of turn though. I've also found that over-rotating on the pivot combined with a slightly faster pace and high overspin as opposed to sidespin can make for a very effective arm ball when done right, but I'm still working on it.
Sure glad I'm a chinaman bowler, makes a slider so much easier to bowl:laugh:
Shane Warne Slider LBW + slowmo - YouTube