Thread: Arm ball or slider

Arm ball or slider

Hi, I'm an offie who has a decent stock ball and a poorly disguised carrom ball.
    I need a ball that goes straight on without turning, but not with the seam pointing straight. I want to disguise it well, any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Hi, I'm an offie who has a decent stock ball and a poorly disguised carrom ball.
    I need a ball that goes straight on without turning, but not with the seam pointing straight. I want to disguise it well, any tips?
    Bowl the stock offie with a scrambled seam. It doesn't get simpler than that. Not as sexy as a carrom ball but still has to be played.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Your question here takes away the main method of bowling a well disguised arm ball.

Ideally you should point the seam towards slips and impart spin but keeping the seam pointing towards slips through the flight of the ball. if you are lucky the ball will hold its line when it lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

1. Off break a scrambled seam one
    2. Off roller than a off break will act as a slider
    3. Tilt the axis of rotation so the shiny side hits the pitch. Off breaks will go straight once this happens.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    So as others have said there's a solid variety of ways. The least obvious one IMO is where you deliver the ball with the fingers spinning around or down the outside of the ball, rather than over the top as with a stock offie. The axis of rotation will be perpendicular to the pitch so will often skid due to the lack of the usual over-spin which helps the stock ball grip and turn.
    Exit pursuing a beer

SLA
    Cricket Spectator
    very few people bowl the arm ball anymore, its just too easy to pick as the angle of the seam is extremely obvious to the batsman. Sliders are far more effective.

Cricket Spectator
    Try Graeme Swann's flying saucer ball, it isn't easy to pick and is very effective if you bowl quite fast through the air. Ever tried the doosra? No. Okay, I don't blame you...
    You could bowl your usual off breaks from very wide of the crease, then bowl from close to the stumps and angle the ball slightly across, trying to drift it as much as you can which should make the ball skid if you only use side-spin on this particular delivery?

Ah, this thread again, well thanks for the advice peeps, what I've found is that the "flying saucer" ball I can't do because I get the release all wrong, so I generally just bowl a faster ball with all sidespin that sometimes turns a bit but often just skids on, it beats the batsmen more for pace than lack of turn though. I've also found that over-rotating on the pivot combined with a slightly faster pace and high overspin as opposed to sidespin can make for a very effective arm ball when done right, but I'm still working on it.
    Proudly supporting the world's no 1 spin bowler Rangana Herath and the mighty Sri Lankans!

I even made a domestic thread

Cricket Spectator
    Ah, this thread again, well thanks for the advice peeps, what I've found is that the "flying saucer" ball I can't do because I get the release all wrong, so I generally just bowl a faster ball with all sidespin that sometimes turns a bit but often just skids on, it beats the batsmen more for pace than lack of turn though. I've also found that over-rotating on the pivot combined with a slightly faster pace and high overspin as opposed to sidespin can make for a very effective arm ball when done right, but I'm still working on it.
    Sure glad I'm a chinaman bowler, makes a slider so much easier to bowl
    Shane Warne Slider LBW + slowmo - YouTube

Thread Information