• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tips and advice to become a better batsman, highest score only 25 in last 11 years

Phoenix11

Cricket Spectator
Hello guys,

I am new here, I'm 23 and I love cricket and started playing amatuer level cricket from 2001. At my club, their is only 5 matches every year only in the summer in the UK.

I show promise batting in practice, however, in matches my highest score has only been 25 in the last 11 years, I'm very sad about this and I've only scored 3 fours in the last 11 years.

My goal is to bat in the top four and score 50s consistently, I have this believe this can happen, however, I lack total confidence and there is only one chance in friendly matches to impress the captain to bat up the order and have consistent chances. Add to that I these games are 25 overs so I need to hit 4's and 6's which I can't do.

My bowlers consist of leg and left arm spinners, most of your pacers are medium pace, Munaf Patel, Ishant Sharma and Collingwood style.

I lack confidence, I know I need to hit 4's and I only get one chance, otherwise other players are shafted in the team, add to that my team players think I show promise in practice but they have 'Rahul Dravid player' mentality towards me.

MY BIGGEST WEAKNESS, I cannot play the square cut and just 'waff' the bat outside off, which opposition bowlers exploit AND I will have to beat the established players in the A team. ALso my trigger movement may need improving vastly.

MY AIMS:

1) I'm starting a 5x5 weight lifting training program and then switch to power training in April and then onto plyometric training.
2) I have outdoor sessions from May until August twice a week.
3) I will look at 20-20 on TV and videos on youtube and visualise batting like them.
4) I have stacks of books and magazines offering my batting tips, but sadly, I cannot replicate this in real life.
5) My friend will throw down balls so I can practice shots.
6) During practice and actual matches, I will visualise what shots I will play off specific deliveries.

Also in the actual match, I am pressured to hit 4's by myself, will is a natural emotion, since I want to bat in the top order consistently.

I would appreciate tips, suggestion and advice on improvements to achieve my goals.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, I'd we didn't have indoor cricket we'd have about a three week season.

Seriously, though, five games in a summer is no chance to improve. You can play upwards of 40 if you find a club with midweek, Saturday and Sunday sides - all the drills in the world are nothing against proper match practice.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Haha

Mate all you need is to fix your swing. My friend couldn't hit a boundary to save himself when he was 17 his wrists used to buckle at the point of impact.

Just stand in front of the mirror with your bat and practice hitting fours and sixes and watch your form in the mirror and compare it to a cricket video that you might be able to buy of a good inning.

I knew a guy who went from number 11 to opening the batting in 12 months by practicising for 15 minutes a night in front of the mirror. He was 13 mind you so the competition for opening the batting wasn't very strong. But I doubt the batsman you are up against in this 25 over league are much chop either.

Fix your technique mate.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I would appreciate tips, suggestion and advice on improvements to achieve my goals.
You can't. I advice you to pick up books of Analysis I & II and statistics, so that you'll be at least able to argue that everybody else is also ****.

Otherwise, if you still really want to keep going out in the middle, my advice would be the same given to Jan, check you backlift first, and your weight transfer second. Be sure that before you hit the ball you have a nice, big and smooth swing of the bat backwards, if you'll time that the ball will travel miles even with a light bat.

jonathanfs

Cricket Spectator
i would recommend posting a video of yourself on youtube batting and put a link on here so people can see where ur going wrong wot county do u live in my team is lookinng for players and we pretty flexible any players showing promise bat in the top 4 for most of the season and we play upwards of 25 games. but yh post a video and tell us what county your from

Phoenix11

Cricket Spectator
I appreciate all of your comments, which have been very valuable.

I'm from Birmingham, England.

I also have a tendency to 'squat down' when I battin to meet the ball, I don't really play upright enough and that is another problem.

I will join another club and start playing indoor cricket from March onwards and play in saturday and sunday leauges. I guess with more practice and match practice I will get better.

I will continue to play for my original club, which I'm in love with.

The Coach

Cricket Spectator
If you find a big club you may find opportunities to open the batting for say the 4ths or 5ths and once you start to score consistently, can progress up maybe as a middle order in the 3rds or 2nds, maybe even 1sts.

Batting is a massive confidence thing - so time in the middle accumulating 25 runs over 10 overs, say, is better for long term development than thrashing 25 in 2 overs.

Before you make regular big scores you need to have a tight defence so that you can keep the good 'un out when it comes - the higher the standard, the more good 'un's you'll get too.

Don't hit the ball in the air - yes, big sixes look impressive, but the gamble of 6 or out is rarely taken by top order batters. Look for 1, 2 & 4s and if you work hard on your fitness esp. sprinting, you'll be amazed how easy it is to turn 1s into 2s, 2s in to 3s etc, especially in the lower standards and friendlies where fielding and throwing are poorer.

TLBcricket

Cricket Spectator
The two most simple and effective tips I have ever been taught is to:

1 - Watch the ball. Sounds simple, but many people don't effectively watch the ball. I watch the ball in the bowlers hand all the way from the beginning of his run up right until the point of release.

2 - Play straight. If the ball pitches on leg stump then play down the line of leg stump. It really is that easy!

Now go and score a ton!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The two most simple and effective tips I have ever been taught is to:

1 - Watch the ball. Sounds simple, but many people don't effectively watch the ball. I watch the ball in the bowlers hand all the way from the beginning of his run up right until the point of release.

2 - Play straight. If the ball pitches on leg stump then play down the line of leg stump. It really is that easy!

Now go and score a ton!
There's two legitimate ways to watch the ball. One is to watch the ball in the bowlers hand during his run up and to watch his hand as he performs the bowling action.

Another method is to pick a spot on the sight screen where the bowler is releasing the ball from and watch that and don;t look at the bowlers hand at all.

Usually I do the first method and in fact do it 99% of the time. On saturday I was facing a guy who was looking at my eyes while he was running into bowl instead of at the wickets and on top of that was grimacing awkwardly so I couldn't look back at him or the ball in his hand. So I just watched his release point and that worked better for that particular bowler.

adolfainsley8

Cricket Spectator
I cannot play the square cut and just 'waff' the bat outside off, which opposition bowlers exploit AND I will have to beat the established players in the A team. ALso my trigger movement may need improving vastly.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hi Adolf

I recommend shadow batting. But do it for ten minutes in front of a mirror every day for a month. You have seen enough square cuts on tv so just do it how they do it and keep making adjustments until it looks good in the mirror.
Start off in slow motion then get faster

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
May I post about my batting woes too?

I am a right hander. I like to drive the ball and am good at leg glance and pulls and hooks but:

1) I struggle against short ball outside the off stump (basically I can't play square cut quite comfortably).

2) I struggle a lot against spinners while sweeping. Whenever I try to sweep a spinner (and I mean any kind of spinner), I tend to miss the ball and either get bowled or the balls goes in keeper's hand. I haven't connected a single sweep shot (!) hence I changed it to go with a leg glance but that does not fetch me good runs - only singles and twos. Heck, even if there is no one there from fine leg to long on, I can't play sweep. This is quite embarrassing. Please help me hone my batting skills.

3) I cannot play full length balls from the left arm seamers. I tend to go for straight drive every time and get bowled or LBW. I don't know what wrong I'm doing.