• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Past 5 months in video

Bilal388

Cricket Spectator
Hey

I have been chronicling my progress for the past 5 months . I feel like im improving each day. Unfortunately the season has ended.

Aside from that i just came here to get some pointers on how i can tighten up my technique and play straighter. I play the "flick" shot well but i want to minimize it and play alot straighter as i believe at club level, at least for me my wicket has most of the times been gifted away not taken.

Here are my three videos in order

Cricket nets - YouTube (may 2012)

Cricket Practice - YouTube (july ish)

Cricket Nets Batting - YouTube (october 2012) This actually was one of my worst net session in some time as i got wrapped up on pads once , and misread the flight a couple of times. But it was the only recent one i recorded so ya

As you might notice i have changed my stance and i am alot more relaxed. In the earlier videos,as evident i was also scared of the short ball hence backing away while playing backfoot shots.I have mostly gotten rid of that habbit(fingers crossed that it keeps out even in indoor nets) and hence my backfoot game is coming along. My goals are to add more power in my drive and develop a solid defense and just play straight. Hence for that im thinking of getting a friend and just working on just one shot every month, 2 sessions a week. So like backfoot defense(extension into the drive), off-cover drive,pull shot etc.

p.s i gotta learn how to play the on the up drives.Those are the best (like 1:13 oct video, gotta step to the ball just a little bit more though)

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have assessed the videos. The first video just made it look like you havn't played much cricket as you were basically mistiming the ball.
Some improvements in the second.
Big improvement in the third.

You are still missing the ball outside off stump - and getting leading edges to balls on your middle stump as you try to turn the ball to leg.

I have looked at your backlift. Not your pre-delivery backlift which is fine. But your real backlift you do before you hit the ball. It is a bit crooked and goes out to slips too much. This is leading to you missing the ball outside off stick - and having more trouble timing the ball on middle stump.

Take 15 minutes and practice your backlift - do it once or twice a week for 3 weeks and you will fix the problem. I can't remember if the coaching manual says to take your backlift over off stump. So hopefully someone else will come along and make a post to confirm this.

Sunil Gavascar in his last match which was a benefit game. Spent 45 minutes before the start of his inning practicing his backlift. If he thought it was important so should you.

All shots start with the backlift.

Bilal388

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the feedback. Ya i had a feeling the same thing was going on. Sometimes because of my back lift my bat comes down at an angle(like 2:34) hence the ball that i should be playing straight to squirts to the leg side.

Bilal388

Cricket Spectator
I just found out that apparently i am doing a trigger movement(back foot across half a stump) most of the time subconsciously. Like this is the first time i have found out that im doing this and its not on purpose. So now i dont knw whether to fix it or just carry on

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I just found out that apparently i am doing a trigger movement(back foot across half a stump) most of the time subconsciously. Like this is the first time i have found out that im doing this and its not on purpose. So now i dont knw whether to fix it or just carry on
Two points. Firstly it isnt bad at all. You should be pleased with the progress you have made. Secondly, you dont really have a trigger movement.

A trigger movement in just before the ball is bowled you move but are completely set and still at the moment of delivery. Sometimes you have a shuffle but it is a fraction later than a trigger movement would be and hinders rather than helps with your balance.

You play the ball on off stump and the short wide ball exceptionally well. There is no surprise as that is when you get your head in to a very good position. It is a great foundation to have. The areas, IMHO, are that you are not getting your head in a good position to the full balls outside off. You are getting trapped by not getting out to the ball with your front foot and playing away from your body. Also, being a little off balance at delivery is causing you to fall over when the ball is on your pads. Watch a few balls on your pads and pause it - see where your head is in relation to the ball. One the ones I have stopped your head is almost always quite a distance on the wrong side rather than eyes over the ball.

Good stuff though and your backfoot square drive is great to watch.

Last edited:

Bilal388

Cricket Spectator
I have been working on the machine for the past week or so about 20mins a session. Mainly working on playing straighter when the balls are on the stumps or in the corridor.

Heres a link of my most recent session http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFfj5tk56ws

Speed is set at 70mph(most balls were measured at 68 mph ,while others were 69-70,and a handful were 73-74 by a radar gun).

I had for some reason stopped getting low in my stance in the past few weeks but have started it back again and the shots are getting better. My main problem is that i cant seem to get my front foot to the side when the ball is on middle-leg ,leg stump thus resulting in me playing across the line. Any ideas on this?Should i open up?

Another problem is that im losing shape as the session progress(its about a 20min session of 20 overs,about 14mins of batting) because of my back starting to ache resulting in me no longer to hold still as the session progresses. Any ideas on how to get rid of this back fatigue?

Also i need to know how to watch EVERY SINGLE ball correctly as right now i forget to watch the ball very quickly in any net session. I remember it when i get in trouble and start doing it but not for long as i forget to watch the ball properly again.

And lastly , the bat is turning alot in my hands recently. What could be some reasons for this?

Though one improvement i think i have made is that my back lift is more consistent now and my bat is coming in a straight line consistently.

I will move up to 73-75mph when im fully comfortable against 70-72(currently working on).My end goal(3-4months from now) is to play 80mph relatively comfortably(front and back)

Last edited:

Bilal388

Cricket Spectator
recently , i have been trying to develop a over the top shot against spinners. Heres a video of first time in the nets. Cricket Machine Session - 4 - YouTube (im on the left) I think the ones i connected properly were 56s,1:10,4:35,5:05,9:26. This shot ill prolly play when the ball is right and long on is up. The main thing i wanna do is to try not to hit it too hard as i know if i do my bat wont come straight and ill end up dragging it

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket Nets Apr 2013 - YouTube Season about to start most recent net
backlift excellent
on drives excellent
back foot defence excellent
front foot off drives need some work both balance and the amount you are committing to the front foot need to be addressed. I think you know enough to coach yourself and how to fix your game - just pay attention to your off drive.

Back foot cover drive I am undecided on.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is not a technical comment, but a mentality comment, which I think is just as important.

I think you should be leaving more of those deliveries outside off stump. Basically, anything that's not a half volley or short wide filth should be left.

Yes, it's nice to work on some of those back foot drives but you're going to be playing against bowlers who will move the ball off the pitch and quicker deliveries. The balls will deviate off the pitch, rear up of the length, or swing late. You will not have time to set yourself so nicely for the drives on the up and punches etc. It's nice to have those shots available, but you should be rarely playing them in match situations anyway so I think it's quite important that you train yourself to shelve them.

Last edited: