• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

18, never played properly before, where to start?

Evilpengwinz

Cricket Spectator
First post on here :)

I'm 18 (19 in October), and I'm wondering how I can get involved in cricket, having never been involved in a proper match before.

As a child, I was incredibly good at maths, and both of my parents hated sport, which meant that I brainwashed into thinking that all that mattered was growing up, getting good grades, becoming an accountant or something, going to work and getting lots of money. I was never told anything about sport, other than "You won't like it", and "It's just people chasing a ball around for hours". :unsure:

Somewhere along the line, I stopped listening to people telling me "You won't like cricket, it's boring", and decided to find out for myself. I turned the telly on just in time to watch England get bowled out for 51 by the West Indies, and I've been hooked ever since.

Since then, I've picked up a bat, a set of stumps, some second hand equipment, and I've been playing in the park with a couple of lads from school since last summer. My huge repertoire of shots includes a forward defence, and... well, that's it, really. If that wasn't bad enough, my bowling is nearly as bad as Mitchell Johnson. I would like to play a proper cricket match sometime. However, I don't know how good I need to be to get into a local team's 2nd XI or something. I'm also scared of turning up for a trial or net practice or something, being really crap, and being told to GTFO.

If I want to play, am I just allowed to turn up to a random net practice somewhere with a bat, or is there some kind of procedure that I'll have to go through first?

Is there a possibility that I'll be too rubbish to ever play for a team?

What could I realistically expect to achieve?

Please help,
Cheers.

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Hi Evilpengwinz,

Your best bet is to find a local cricket club, and give them a call first.

No local club will turn away another player, as we all need as many as we can get.

Club usually have coaches, and plenty of seniors players who can really improve your game.

Jager

International Debutant
You could have a look for a local club on the internet or ask around for some advice from your cricket-playing friends so that you could find your way in (that's what I would do).

I too had the problem of being an extremely defensive player when I started. Now, I attack every ball possible and have way more fun. Just don't take things too seriously, enjoy yourself.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Go to a club which has a team playing social cricket. We have leagues in NZ where people don't bother to wear whites. I would recommend that level for your first year or two. If you practice 3 or 4 times a week you can graduate to the next level up. Don't be put off by playing social cricket - each team will have 3 or 4 good players who really belong in a higher division who will give you a good work out and will probably get you out in your first few games.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Does Swindon mean Swindon, East Wiltshire or West Oxfordshire?

I know the club scene down here very well and I can probably pick somewhere out for you (on our side of the border at least).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think a few people will envy the position that you are in. Most people pick up cricket at a younger age and so have bodies which are pretty worn-down because of playing when the body is growing and techniques which have poor habits from when you are young. As someone starting at 18, you know what is good and what isn't and so could really make rapid strides to becoming a good cricketer. Don't look at it (starting late) as a hindrance but more a blessing.

Evilpengwinz

Cricket Spectator
I think a few people will envy the position that you are in. Most people pick up cricket at a younger age and so have bodies which are pretty worn-down because of playing when the body is growing and techniques which have poor habits from when you are young. As someone starting at 18, you know what is good and what isn't and so could really make rapid strides to becoming a good cricketer. Don't look at it (starting late) as a hindrance but more a blessing.
That's a good point, I'd never thought of it like that.

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
I was actually about to start a similar thread. I gave up cricket very young and I have regretted it ever since - I started playing again at the age of 25, last year and loved my time in the nets. Unfortunately I haven't been able to train this year due to personal circumstances but I want to get right back into it next year.

I'm looking for some tips, though. I trained with one team through the winter. By the end of that, I wasn't to the standard of playing for any of their teams and they didn't continue nets through the summer. I then went to a team that did, but it was only their first team players that trained and I found it very difficult to keep up. I've been thinking about some one-to-one coaching to help me get a bit more up to speed. I was wondering if anyone else has used this and whether or not they might recommend this as an option for someone at my level?

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hi MCC111,
What I would do in this situation is get a mate or two and see if you can hire a net or something.. Where I live theres a cricket centre where they rent out nets and bowlings machines. If you've got somewhere you can do that then that would be ideal!

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
I hadn't thought of that, actually. Unfortunately the reason I haven't played this year is because of my new job - I now live quite far from my friends (and quite far away from work-it's complicated). But that is certainly something to consider as I start to get to know people. Thanks.

J_asonR

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh okay, where abouts are you from?

If there's opportunities for 1 on 1 training somewhere, I'm sure there will be opportunities to rent a net or bowling machine..

Hopefully all goes well!

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
The closest to where I work is the Worcestershire cricket centre, which looks pretty good, actually. To complicate matters, however, I am about to move to Edinburgh and can't find anything resembling a cricket centre up there. I'm happy to get back in the nets before the next season and graft, but anything that could make me more likely to get some match time would be a great bonus.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The closest to where I work is the Worcestershire cricket centre, which looks pretty good, actually. To complicate matters, however, I am about to move to Edinburgh and can't find anything resembling a cricket centre up there. I'm happy to get back in the nets before the next season and graft, but anything that could make me more likely to get some match time would be a great bonus.
1st search result. A way to get involved and reintroduced to the game

Edinburgh Indoor Cricketers

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for link. That sounds perfect - favourited the page and I'll get in touch. Fingers crossed they're still going strong.

Jostler

Cricket Spectator
It is definitely possible to start at a late age. I have recently myself just got back into cricket at the age of 26 after 6 years without playing league cricket properly (Minus a 5 game streak 3 years ago which went (50,50,dnb,0,0) then I retired again. However, the reason I have started playing again is down to my sisters fiance taking up the sport at 24. He's quite clueless at the moment, but is enthusiastic, yet he came across the game through chance.

His colleague at work needed an extra man for a midweek team in the local area who were short, so he played and loved it.Now he can't get enough and looks forward to it each week. The standard isn't the best by any means, but its good for getting your eye in, in a pressureless environment. I went along the week after and they saw me bowling at him in the nets and asked if I wanted a game, so I've been playing the past few weeks and I'm loving it. I've also realised I am bowling a hell of a lot sharper and can throw a ball further than I ever could previously. I haven't played a league game this year, but I'm gonna net all winter and go back to Saturday cricket next year. My sis' fiance, also wants to play league cricket this year as he currently see's himself as the next warney.

Basically, ask friends, work colleagues anyone that you know, theres a lot of mid week teams nationwide which represent businesses etc, they may have a couple of good players but there will be a lot of beginners / fun players in the teams too!