• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Improvement in my game!

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I posted a thread here a year back asking for some technical help. I then worked on my technique in the offseason and thankfully some of the adjustments have paid off and I am having a much better season this time around.

Here is me again last year:

Cricket Canada, OCA vs Ramblers - YouTube

As is evident here, my main technical fault was a very hard across planting of the front foot, which forced me to play around my pad, after some work my front foot plant isnt as hard this year and I am more balanced to go back or forward.

Here are a couple of clips from the recent couple of weeks:

00019 - YouTube

and sheridan - YouTube

I would really appreciate if someone here can find flaws in my stance or trigger movements etc.

Much appreciated.

I am also a leg spinner so will hopefully get some footage of that aswell in the future.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I remember you from last year. Last year I gave my advice and last year both you and Neil Pickup disagreed with my advice.

I will give it again - because I still hold that it is true - my assessment is this:

1) You are an excellent one day batsman - obviously you would not bat like that in a two day match or at least I hope you wouldn't or I would put you no higher than 5 or 6.
2) Great footwork - good off side shots, excellent timer of the ball, Great pull shot.
3) Very few shots of you defending in the new footage and I think this is your weakness. Specifically you use the same flamboyant back lift for defence a you do for hitting a six as you do for pushing a single into the covers. All I can do is describe what I do - when defending I have a small backlift. When pushing into the covers a medium back lift and when smoking it over the top a full flourishing backlift.
If I wanted to get you out I would bowl the ball full on a good length (not over pitched) at the stumps and get you to play forward defensive strokes.
4) The best way for you to play if you don't want to adjust your game is to play as few defensive strokes as possible - when you get a good delivery try stroking it into the covers - or driving it on the up to mid on.

This is my advice.

I know nothing about leg spin.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I posted a thread here a year back asking for some technical help. I then worked on my technique in the offseason and thankfully some of the adjustments have paid off and I am having a much better season this time around.

Here is me again last year:

Cricket Canada, OCA vs Ramblers - YouTube

As is evident here, my main technical fault was a very hard across planting of the front foot, which forced me to play around my pad, after some work my front foot plant isnt as hard this year and I am more balanced to go back or forward.

Here are a couple of clips from the recent couple of weeks:

00019 - YouTube

and sheridan - YouTube

I would really appreciate if someone here can find flaws in my stance or trigger movements etc.

Much appreciated.

I am also a leg spinner so will hopefully get some footage of that aswell in the future.
The main thing I can see is that you don't have a very straight or consistent backlift. As Caner said, this won't present an enormous issue for most club standard cricket, though it's definitely worth improving. You've got a great style generally though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Against the quicks your style is excellent. Anything short and your pull and cut shots are exceptional. You come across as a naturally attacking batsman, but you play proper cricketing shots so its good to see.

I'm not saying it just because he eventually got you out, but that spinner troubled you. Again when he bowled short or too full you played him with ease but whenever he bowled the right length you seemed in two minds most of the time. I think you probably plant your leading foot too early and find it too hard to make changes in your technique when the ball is pitched in good areas.

No idea on what sort of training you do, but I would get someone to do spinning throw downs with you, getting them to throw the ball into that area of uncertainty. I see no weakness with your batting against quicks, again the technique was great, what level of Cricket are you playing in?

MrPrez

International Debutant
If I was the captain against you I would bowl an outswing bowler against you and try make you flash outside off. Your backlift lets you dispatch balls to the legside easily but I would back a bowler moving the ball away from you much in the same way as Hashim Amla was found out initially.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Thank you for your replies everyone. I do play a lot of defensive shots as well, the videos just included mostly attacking game play from my past couple of innings. I will post some footage of my defensive technique, it would be great if you guys could evaluate that a bit. Most of this season I have mostly just given my wicket away after scoring a sensible 40 or 50. Caught outs in the outfield trying to place a boundary between two boundary men etc. I did score one century but that was in slog mode, I went in at no 5 just to hit, the last video I scored a game winning 76, it was a really patient innings where I waited for the bad balls chasing 150.

I do not play a good standard of cricket, never have received any coaching, I learned my cricket just from watching my favorite players, thinking about my game and making the best use of little practice opportunities that come my way. Needless to say I watch a lot of videos on

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Thank you for your replies everyone. I do play a lot of defensive shots as well, the videos just included mostly attacking game play from my past couple of innings. I will post some footage of my defensive technique, it would be great if you guys could evaluate that a bit. Most of this season I have mostly just given my wicket away after scoring a sensible 40 or 50. Caught outs in the outfield trying to place a boundary between two boundary men etc. I did score one century but that was in slog mode, I went in at no 5 just to hit, the last video I scored a game winning 76, it was a really patient innings where I waited for the bad balls chasing 150.

I do not play a good standard of cricket, never have received any coaching, I learned my cricket just from watching my favorite players, thinking about my game and making the best use of little practice opportunities that come my way. Needless to say I watch a lot of videos on
Mate if you are typically scoring 40 or 50 then you must have a decent defence - please do post it.

jacobg606

Cricket Spectator
Just wondering if you could help at all with my batting.

I've been out 7 times this season and been bowled 5 of the 7. Just wondering if you could give me any tips from that.

Thanks a lot.

Reply would be much appreciated