Thread: Kit for beginner

Cricket Spectator

Kit for beginner

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to cricket (started playing last summer at the age of 31), and am now looking to pick up some kit of my own. I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic equipment that will do the job. I practice once a week and play about 5 matches a season.

The reason I want to get my own kit is that out club recently had nets installed, where me and a friend can go practice on our own at any time, but without access to the club gear.

I am in Canada, so options are limited, but does anyone have an opinion on a set like this:

CA Somo Kit [10845] - $249.00 : Desi Sport, One Stop Cricket Shop

Is this decent gear for a beginner, or is this junk?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Buy it. It is a great deal for someone who hasn't played before. You better be particular about what size "cricket suit" you want.

When you get more serious use these guys Dynamic Sports Online - Field Hockey and Cricket Equipment

My friend runs the company and he knows cricket. He runs it out of Vancouver so if you live there you can even visit him and hand pick out your equipment.

Probably if you tell him you know me he will give you a discount.

But seriously - just get anything when you are beginner.

When you have been playing for a year in a team you can check out other guy's equipment and develop a feeling for what you like and don't like.

If you are determined to have good equipment right off the bat then go straight to Dynamic Sports. Send the owner an email and get him to assist you. He will sell you a Kookaburra bat because that is what he deals in. I bought one from him and love it.

Final note - Desisports are selling that kit for $250 - if you buy all of that stuff at a higher quality you will be looking at $200 for the bat alone. And another $150-$200 for the rest of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Spectator
    Thanks for that. I will actually be in Vancouver on vacation in a couple of weeks, so I'll definitely check out your friend's store.

jan
    Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    Hi everyone. I am fairly new to cricket (started playing last summer at the age of 31), and am now looking to pick up some kit of my own. I am not looking for anything fancy, just basic equipment that will do the job. I practice once a week and play about 5 matches a season.
    Exactly the same story with me.

As Hurricane says it is a good beginner package if there is a bat in it. There is nothing like the comfort of not having to share those parts of gear that get sweaty. I admire people who practice and play with club's gloves and helmets. Especially if those were previously used by 10 other guys in the nets on a sunny day
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman, any fastbowler's bunny, grainy low-res streams watcher

Cricket Spectator
    I inquired to DesiSport about shipping costs, and it's no longer looking like such a great deal. $70 shipping to Canada, + duty (call it 25%? $60?), so the $250 is really more like $380.

Seeing as I already have whites, and have an old hockey bag I can use, I'm sure I can pick up bat, gloves, pads, and helmet for similar. Looking at the Dynamic Sports link provided, I can get entry level Kookaburra bat (Kahuna 150) + pads and gloves for $200. No helmets on the website, but I'll check them out in person when I'm over there.

I'll also be sure to name drop "Hurricane" for an expected special discount

Quote Originally Posted by DanH View Post
    I inquired to DesiSport about shipping costs, and it's no longer looking like such a great deal. $70 shipping to Canada, + duty (call it 25%? $60?), so the $250 is really more like $380.

Seeing as I already have whites, and have an old hockey bag I can use, I'm sure I can pick up bat, gloves, pads, and helmet for similar. Looking at the Dynamic Sports link provided, I can get entry level Kookaburra bat (Kahuna 150) + pads and gloves for $200. No helmets on the website, but I'll check them out in person when I'm over there.

I'll also be sure to name drop "Hurricane" for an expected special discount
    Cool bananas. I am just emailing him now to tell him you might stop by and will make another post if he has any special comments in his reply. He will help you pick out a good bat with the right weight for you. Be happy you are buying in Canada btw a similar bat costs $300 in New Zealand. They are distinctly cheaper in Canada in part because the dollar is stronger.

Cricket Spectator
    To follow up in case anyone is interested, I met up with the owner of Dynamic Sports and ended up buying a GM Icon 505 bat, GM 505 pads and gloves, and a GM Purist Pro helmet for $300. Ended up being a much better deal (quality/price wise) than the set I was originally looking at.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Yeah that sounds like an absolute bargain - Icon 505 is a really nice bat for a beginner to be able to start off with!
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Cool thanks for the update!

Thread Information