Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you stand in Gully?

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar

Where do you stand in Gully?

I have started fielding in gully this season. The whole skill in the position seems to be knowing where to stand. A left armer came on to bowl yesterday and I got confused and went finer - only to have the catch go square of me by a metre just out of my dive.

have been trying to watch the international teams. They seem to put gully at about a 30 degree angle from the bat. Does this sound right?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    It depends itbt.

I'd always say that gully has no set position and depends on the batsman's preferences as well as the bowler's angle and even speed at times.

It's a feel position more than anything. I do think that with a left armer to a right handed batsmen you're more likely to get 'squarer' chances.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I'm pretty much the only person who plays cricket in my gully

Have a bit of a pet hate about gully getting too close to the slips fielders. Should be able to fit at least five slips in before the gully.

biggest thing is dont stand too deep and watch the ball off the bat

when i say not too deep, you shouldn't be able to see point at all in the crouch without moving your head. in a straight line from 5th slip to regulation cover
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Would have thought the quicker the bowler the finer you stand and vice versa. With the left armer I would actually go squarer as it is already going towards a fine first slip with the angle, instead of towards the keeper like a right arm bowler would.

Never fielded in the slips though so can't give much more advice than that. Would be slightly carful about trying to copy the pros though. I've tried international tactics when captaining at youth level and it doesn't always work out like it does for the pros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

So I went squarer to the left armer and of course the catch went just fine of me. We lost the match as a result as they had a 100 run partnership after that.

Bah from now on I am just going to stand at a 30 degree angle for everyone -

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I loved fielding in gully, but due to being a quick(ish) bowler I wasn't allowed to be there that often. Was more comfortable in gully than standing at at long on when someone skied one.

I think what Benchmark said is pretty correct though, get a feel for the batsman and factor in the bowler's pace to decide where you're going to stand. You need a set position to start from of course, so I'd start at a fairly regular gully slot and go from there. Sometimes you just get a feeling about what the batsman might do and end up in the right place at the right time.

I'd say you'll end up equally as frustrated sticking to one position all the time as you'll have just as great a chance of being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I have started fielding in gully this season. The whole skill in the position seems to be knowing where to stand. A left armer came on to bowl yesterday and I got confused and went finer - only to have the catch go square of me by a metre just out of my dive.

have been trying to watch the international teams. They seem to put gully at about a 30 degree angle from the bat. Does this sound right?
    Why would you stand finer to a left armer bowling presumably to a right hander?

The angle alone is bound to see it go squarer rather than finer. Sure it isn't for definite, but look at how Mitchell Johnson took 95% of his first 100 Test wickets! Just angled across and flashed to square gully/point.

A right handed batsman will go with the movement of the ball and will drive more towards cover than mid-off as the ball goes across him. So the ball is bound to flash, even off the face, to a squarer gully/point, rather than 3rd slip/finer gully.

To be honest though, I doubt you get many decent square drivers in your local league, so why the hell you're fielding there anyway is beyond me. Either your bowlers are bowling short long-hops or your captain is mental if he's got a gully at that level.

Couple of slips, Third Man, Cover, Mid-Off, Mid-On, Short Mid-Wicket, Square Leg and Fine Leg. All you need at that level. Bowl full, at the stumps, move it this way and that and you'll win every game. No need to thank me!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    How do you know what level he plays?

And if there are any decent bowlers then gully won't necessarily have to wait for a square drive to get in the game. Squaring the batsman up and getting the thick edge to gully is a classic dismissal.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 21-02-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    How do you know what level he plays?

And if there are any decent bowlers then gully won't necessarily have to wait for a square drive to get in the game. Squaring the batsman up and getting the thick edge to gully is a classic dismissal.
    agreed - I have 4 catches there in 11 games. And about 5 that have gone either side of me. All edges as opposed to square drives.

Our team seems to keep a slip and gully in as opposed to two slips.

International 12th Man
    Gully, at many levels, is such a default field setting that isn't given enough thought in most cases, so this is a good topic.

At club level from what I've seen, it's always employed but seldom in business. Or players stand in the wrong place - ie too square on a quick pitch, too deep etc. If there's forethought put into it, even in saying it's not worth employing, much better.

One that we've employed well in the past, in one-dayers especially, is a floating 4-5th slip, about 2m finer of gully, with a backward point. It means if guys are bowling channels, the option of running it down to third man to get off strike becomes a much riskier business. Use less blade, risk nicking it. When the man is at gully and you have a 1st/2nd, it's often easy and such a release valve.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    So I went squarer to the left armer and of course the catch went just fine of me. We lost the match as a result as they had a 100 run partnership after that.

Bah from now on I am just going to stand at a 30 degree angle for everyone -
    Sorry mate.

I fielded in the gully/point region for most of my playing days, I enjoyed gully so much more than in the slips as I naturally expect the batsman to hit the ball not edge it.

Honestly Hurricane at the start of play just mark out your spot and it's such a big run scoring area that it's only natural for the ball to go either side of you quite often.

If in doubt, ask your captain or bowler where they want you.

Thanks to all who have posted in this thread I appreciate the comments.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information