• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where do you stand in Gully?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have started fielding in gully this season. The whole skill in the position seems to be knowing where to stand. A left armer came on to bowl yesterday and I got confused and went finer - only to have the catch go square of me by a metre just out of my dive.

have been trying to watch the international teams. They seem to put gully at about a 30 degree angle from the bat. Does this sound right?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It depends itbt.

I'd always say that gully has no set position and depends on the batsman's preferences as well as the bowler's angle and even speed at times.

It's a feel position more than anything. I do think that with a left armer to a right handed batsmen you're more likely to get 'squarer' chances.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have a bit of a pet hate about gully getting too close to the slips fielders. Should be able to fit at least five slips in before the gully.

uvelocity

International Coach
biggest thing is dont stand too deep and watch the ball off the bat

when i say not too deep, you shouldn't be able to see point at all in the crouch without moving your head. in a straight line from 5th slip to regulation cover

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Would have thought the quicker the bowler the finer you stand and vice versa. With the left armer I would actually go squarer as it is already going towards a fine first slip with the angle, instead of towards the keeper like a right arm bowler would.

Never fielded in the slips though so can't give much more advice than that. Would be slightly carful about trying to copy the pros though. I've tried international tactics when captaining at youth level and it doesn't always work out like it does for the pros.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So I went squarer to the left armer and of course the catch went just fine of me. We lost the match as a result as they had a 100 run partnership after that.

Bah from now on I am just going to stand at a 30 degree angle for everyone -

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I loved fielding in gully, but due to being a quick(ish) bowler I wasn't allowed to be there that often. Was more comfortable in gully than standing at at long on when someone skied one.

I think what Benchmark said is pretty correct though, get a feel for the batsman and factor in the bowler's pace to decide where you're going to stand. You need a set position to start from of course, so I'd start at a fairly regular gully slot and go from there. Sometimes you just get a feeling about what the batsman might do and end up in the right place at the right time.

I'd say you'll end up equally as frustrated sticking to one position all the time as you'll have just as great a chance of being in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

OhhhhMattyMatty

Cricket Spectator
I have started fielding in gully this season. The whole skill in the position seems to be knowing where to stand. A left armer came on to bowl yesterday and I got confused and went finer - only to have the catch go square of me by a metre just out of my dive.

have been trying to watch the international teams. They seem to put gully at about a 30 degree angle from the bat. Does this sound right?
Why would you stand finer to a left armer bowling presumably to a right hander?

The angle alone is bound to see it go squarer rather than finer. Sure it isn't for definite, but look at how Mitchell Johnson took 95% of his first 100 Test wickets! Just angled across and flashed to square gully/point.

A right handed batsman will go with the movement of the ball and will drive more towards cover than mid-off as the ball goes across him. So the ball is bound to flash, even off the face, to a squarer gully/point, rather than 3rd slip/finer gully.

To be honest though, I doubt you get many decent square drivers in your local league, so why the hell you're fielding there anyway is beyond me. Either your bowlers are bowling short long-hops or your captain is mental if he's got a gully at that level.

Couple of slips, Third Man, Cover, Mid-Off, Mid-On, Short Mid-Wicket, Square Leg and Fine Leg. All you need at that level. Bowl full, at the stumps, move it this way and that and you'll win every game. No need to thank me!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How do you know what level he plays?

And if there are any decent bowlers then gully won't necessarily have to wait for a square drive to get in the game. Squaring the batsman up and getting the thick edge to gully is a classic dismissal.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
How do you know what level he plays?

And if there are any decent bowlers then gully won't necessarily have to wait for a square drive to get in the game. Squaring the batsman up and getting the thick edge to gully is a classic dismissal.
agreed - I have 4 catches there in 11 games. And about 5 that have gone either side of me. All edges as opposed to square drives.

Our team seems to keep a slip and gully in as opposed to two slips.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Gully, at many levels, is such a default field setting that isn't given enough thought in most cases, so this is a good topic.

At club level from what I've seen, it's always employed but seldom in business. Or players stand in the wrong place - ie too square on a quick pitch, too deep etc. If there's forethought put into it, even in saying it's not worth employing, much better.

One that we've employed well in the past, in one-dayers especially, is a floating 4-5th slip, about 2m finer of gully, with a backward point. It means if guys are bowling channels, the option of running it down to third man to get off strike becomes a much riskier business. Use less blade, risk nicking it. When the man is at gully and you have a 1st/2nd, it's often easy and such a release valve.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So I went squarer to the left armer and of course the catch went just fine of me. We lost the match as a result as they had a 100 run partnership after that.

Bah from now on I am just going to stand at a 30 degree angle for everyone -
:( Sorry mate.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I fielded in the gully/point region for most of my playing days, I enjoyed gully so much more than in the slips as I naturally expect the batsman to hit the ball not edge it.

Honestly Hurricane at the start of play just mark out your spot and it's such a big run scoring area that it's only natural for the ball to go either side of you quite often.

If in doubt, ask your captain or bowler where they want you.

breecey89

Cricket Spectator
Get close!

I've been first choice gully fielder at my club ever since I broke into the 1st XI - and it came from what I was told at school - get as close as feels comfortable - then take 2 steps closer. I am usually a similar distance from the bat as the keeper (but our home pitch is a slow-low one so we're both pretty close). From there; the angle shouldn't matter too much. I take it you have decent reactions if they're picking you to field there - so just get close and cut down as much of an angle as possible. Catches are harder because you're so close, but 70+% of the stuff that comes through gully is played into the ground anyway, so just getting a hand/body in the way is saving your team runs.

Also, I reckon the split is about 50/50 every game for stuff that I can actually stop/catch and shots that are out of reach - don't move or think about it if one goes past out of reach, unless your skipper has other ideas!! Hope this helps. :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've been fielding there for 2.5 seasons now. I tend to follow NUFAN's advice (just mark a spot and stay there) . I have a pretty good sense what angle to stand on. A couple go wide or fine of me but most come straight to me. The reason why I have bumped this thread is that I have decided I will go finer for right arm round. My natural tendency was to go squarer but just through sheer weight of observations the catches seem to go a bit finer. I think my theory is that it is just harder for the batsman to catch a solid chunk of it due to the angle.

My new issue is getting my stance right in gully. I am solid if it comes right to me - but I am having difficulty generating momentum to dive. Seem to get my feet stuck in one spot.