Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where do you stand in Gully?

Cricket Spectator

Get close!

I've been first choice gully fielder at my club ever since I broke into the 1st XI - and it came from what I was told at school - get as close as feels comfortable - then take 2 steps closer. I am usually a similar distance from the bat as the keeper (but our home pitch is a slow-low one so we're both pretty close). From there; the angle shouldn't matter too much. I take it you have decent reactions if they're picking you to field there - so just get close and cut down as much of an angle as possible. Catches are harder because you're so close, but 70+% of the stuff that comes through gully is played into the ground anyway, so just getting a hand/body in the way is saving your team runs.

Also, I reckon the split is about 50/50 every game for stuff that I can actually stop/catch and shots that are out of reach - don't move or think about it if one goes past out of reach, unless your skipper has other ideas!! Hope this helps.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I'm pretty much the only person who plays cricket in my gully
    hindi/urdu speakers to appreciate this post

Gully is backward-bakward point imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    I've been fielding there for 2.5 seasons now. I tend to follow NUFAN's advice (just mark a spot and stay there) . I have a pretty good sense what angle to stand on. A couple go wide or fine of me but most come straight to me. The reason why I have bumped this thread is that I have decided I will go finer for right arm round. My natural tendency was to go squarer but just through sheer weight of observations the catches seem to go a bit finer. I think my theory is that it is just harder for the batsman to catch a solid chunk of it due to the angle.

My new issue is getting my stance right in gully. I am solid if it comes right to me - but I am having difficulty generating momentum to dive. Seem to get my feet stuck in one spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information