• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IS this a catch?

Is it a catch

• Total voters

slowfinger

International Debutant
Hm, I would give that. If he had control of it in-air and still had it grasped, it is out, is it not?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No, otherwise any time where the fielder catches the ball cleanly in the air but loses it upon hitting the ground would also have to be out.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone who thinks it is should find a cricket rule book to read. YOU KEEP THE BALL OFF THE ****ING GROUND AT ALL COSTS.
He's caught it, controlled it and then fallen on his hand. How in the world in that instance is he supposed to land and get up without doing so? If he doesn't, he falls on his nose and breaks it. Not going to happen.

Show that clip to first-class/international cricketers and I would put my house on they'd say it was a clean catch 98% of the time.

If it was bobbling around in his hand then he hit the ground, I wouldn't give it. But he's clearly got control of it and the contact with the turf is only an act of preservation.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
You've got to draw the line somewhere. If you take a catch it mid-air then you're not considered to have control of the catch until you're on the ground with the ball safely held off the turf.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's caught it, controlled it and then fallen on his hand. How in the world in that instance is he supposed to land and get up without doing so? If he doesn't, he falls on his nose and breaks it. Not going to happen.

Show that clip to first-class/international cricketers and I would put my house on they'd say it was a clean catch 98% of the time.

If it was bobbling around in his hand then he hit the ground, I wouldn't give it. But he's clearly got control of it and the contact with the turf is only an act of preservation.
Yup.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You've got to draw the line somewhere. If you take a catch it mid-air then you're not considered to have control of the catch until you're on the ground with the ball safely held off the turf.
Agreed the line must be drawn somewhere. But I cannot see how either Abbott or Ponting could complete those catches without there being some sort of contact with ball and grass. And if we're not accepting those catches, we're taking away from the game. Both were caught clean and controlled in the moments before hitting the ground.

This one is pretty hard to tell without the right camera angles, but another case study: ICC World Cup: NZ v Sri Lanka - McCullum v Jayawardene - Best denied catch ever - YouTube

The fact that Doull says it's out makes me think not.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah, it's perfectly possible to take a brilliant jumping catch and land in a way that you don't turf the ball. Yes, they had it controlled moments before hitting the ground, but if that was the criteria for a clean catch then we'd have to allow fielders to take catches landing on or outside the boundary rope for the same reason. Fact is, how you land the catch is, and always has been, utterly essential.

That McCullum catch was turfed imo, but only just. By no fault of his own though, he could barely get three fingertips on it with a full length dive.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
So you think Ponting and Abbott could have landed with the ball away from the turf? I don't. Not without causing injury.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Defintely Abbott could have - havn't seen the Ponting catch. He just had to turn his hand side on.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So you think Ponting and Abbott could have landed with the ball away from the turf? I don't. Not without causing injury.
I'm not saying it shouldn't be a catch, but I don't really like this particular line of logic. It'd be like pointing out that a player couldn't catch the ball without it bouncing twice first because he was too far away from it originally and then awarding the catch on that basis, or saying that a player couldn't catch the ball without going over the rope etc etc.

If you can't complete a fair catch then that's tough ****; it's not a birthright.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yes, because Clarke has a flawless record of clean catch judgement

Though I'll admit I don't think I've seen the ones you're referring to.