• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you take a look at my action?

Alieaz

Cricket Spectator
I am back playing cricket after 7 years out and want to know how to improve my action to increase pace and accuracy. I am one of the faster bowlers in my team but I am struggling for consistency. Apologies for the grainy quality. I fully expect to get flamed here but I can take it!

Keepers view: 02012010001.mp4 - YouTube

Mid wicket view: 02012010002 - YouTube

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
srsly though, it's hard to tell in those videos, but if I was to give you one tip from what I can see on that video to increase your pace it would be related to your front arm.

You get it up reasonably high to start off with which is good enough, but then when you go to bring it down it seems to go out towards the batsman instead of pulling straight down. This slows your bowling arm down from coming through and results in a slower pace.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
All looks pretty sound to me, from that sort of vision. Reckon maybe the front arm stuff that Benchy talks about is a possible improvement, but it's all very simple, uncomplicated and going in a straight line.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah it's all pretty technically good from what you can tell in those vids, few minor tweeks but for someone who hasn't played for 7 years it isn't bad.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your first mistake is not bowling between the flags.

Just watching it once it seems like your leap takes away a bit of momentum. Looks pretty good though.

I always bowled downwind...made me think I was faster anyway :D

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching it once it seems like your leap takes away a bit of momentum. Looks pretty good though.

I always bowled downwind...made me think I was faster anyway :D
The first thing I looked at were your feet - I like a bowler who lands with his back foot parallel to the popping crease and you do this more or less.

the next thing that caught my eye is your run up - you steam in and then slow down - and then leap. I think if you can maintain your speed of your run up leading up to your leap you might find that you get a flatter and faster leap and keep your momentum better.

But as for accuracy I think the key to that is keeping your head still which you do. So just keep practising and you will get the accuracy.

Summary of my post is that I agree with son of coco

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Action looks decent to me.

Your biggest problem is that you've been a member since 2003 and have managed to only post 4 times. This shows much more self control than the rest of us.

That, and you appear to be Cantabrian. That has to be a problem.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Biggest problem I found is that you jump up more than forwards - this makes you lose momentum. Also, don't slow down as you near the wickets - its something I do too and I'm working on it.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Doesn't look bad tbf, nice and orthodox, but try and get as much momentum as possible and give your back a nice arch back and forth.

Alieaz

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for comments. My first bowling figures for the year are Overs: 5 Maidens: 2 Wickets: 1 Runs: 7 Unfortunately I strained my right groin in the 5th over and had to be taken out of the attack at a crucial time in the match (they were chasing a big total and it was evenly poised) and they got home...

The front arm advice is very useful and I am now jumping forward into my delivery stride instead of upwards. I am also finding this gives me a better and straighter follow-though with less falling away. I still think my front leg should be braced and my hips need to be more straight at the target when I release the ball. I will post new HD videos at my club nets once I have recovered.

Alieaz

Cricket Spectator
I slowed my video to frame by frame at 30 frames per second and (as I measured out the pitch using a bit of string I keep in my beach cricket set cause thats how I roll) work out that from release to passing stumps was 19 frames or .63 seconds which means that ball was travelling at an average speed of 114kmph or close to 70mph (based on video number 2 from midwicket angle). That seems about right?

72/time = kmph