• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should I follow my dreams?

slowfinger

International Debutant
Really going for it this year, 6th or 7th year of district and I'm tired. I just want to start playing county cricket and will be working hard to get there. Would you guys like to see a diary sort of thing to see my progress or...?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Just join in with the "Your Cricket Season" blog/chat thread. There's plenty of us talking playing/coaching and writing about your game often helps you think about things.

ClubCricketer

Cricket Spectator
Really going for it this year, 6th or 7th year of district and I'm tired. I just want to start playing county cricket and will be working hard to get there. Would you guys like to see a diary sort of thing to see my progress or...?
You said earlier in this thread you had determination and passion so I am bit worried by the comment you're 'tired'. Not sure if you mean physically tired? Tired of trying?

Cricket is full of examples of guys who have been overlooked for years and years but have kept playing, enjoying their cricket, and working to get better. Think of Mike Hussey and Darren Lehmann for Australia who both had something like 10,000 runs in Sheffield Shield Cricket under their belt before they got a start with Australia. I am sure others on this thread could tell you examples from other countries as well.

And then there's Bryce McGain. He was told he wasn't even good enough for club cricket but actually played a test for Australia (he only played one and got smashed around a bit, but he still achieved something all of us could only dream about). Read this article bryce mcgain | cricket with balls for some inspiration. And he has played for his state for many years.

The bottom line is if you believe you are good enough for county cricket then keep working to make it. You will get knock backs, you might be told you aren't good enough, and it will be hard work. But none of that should bother you if you really want to make it. All you need to worry about is enjoying your cricket and being the best player you can be. Do that and you'll give yourself the best chance to reach your goal.

Goood luck for the coming season.

slowfinger

International Debutant
You said earlier in this thread you had determination and passion so I am bit worried by the comment you're 'tired'. Not sure if you mean physically tired? Tired of trying?

Cricket is full of examples of guys who have been overlooked for years and years but have kept playing, enjoying their cricket, and working to get better. Think of Mike Hussey and Darren Lehmann for Australia who both had something like 10,000 runs in Sheffield Shield Cricket under their belt before they got a start with Australia. I am sure others on this thread could tell you examples from other countries as well.

And then there's Bryce McGain. He was told he wasn't even good enough for club cricket but actually played a test for Australia (he only played one and got smashed around a bit, but he still achieved something all of us could only dream about). Read this article bryce mcgain | cricket with balls for some inspiration. And he has played for his state for many years.

The bottom line is if you believe you are good enough for county cricket then keep working to make it. You will get knock backs, you might be told you aren't good enough, and it will be hard work. But none of that should bother you if you really want to make it. All you need to worry about is enjoying your cricket and being the best player you can be. Do that and you'll give yourself the best chance to reach your goal.

Goood luck for the coming season.
Thanks man, I was just a tad annoyed when I said 'tired', no, not at all tired! You are completely right, not time to give up, time to get going, thanks!

slowfinger

International Debutant
And by the way guys, I am now in the county squad and hopeful to be a regular in the team next year! Thanks to everyone.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Did trials this year... Got in! Great seeing my posts from all this time ago haha, finally done it for real!

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Do you have a profile page on cricinfo?

If so you've almost made it as a cricketer! Give us the link you I'll 'like' you on Facebook.