Thread: batting on turf

Cricket Spectator

batting on turf

Hi,
    I am 52 and have joined a new club. Which is quite large ( 7 Teams) I was invited to be captain of the fourths which is great and we are doing well but I am struggling to adjust to the turf wickets here in Melbourne and my batting is woeful. 4,0,1 and 0. Yesterday i copped a half tracker and the ball came through at knee height and I got trapped lbw after trying to pull. I am at my wits end any advice?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    go talk to justin langer
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by s sullivan View Post
    Hi,
    I am 52 and have joined a new club. Which is quite large ( 7 Teams) I was invited to be captain of the fourths which is great and we are doing well but I am struggling to adjust to the turf wickets here in Melbourne and my batting is woeful. 4,0,1 and 0. Yesterday i copped a half tracker and the ball came through at knee height and I got trapped lbw after trying to pull. I am at my wits end any advice?
    You shouldn't be pulling until you are on 20 or so runs anyway in a 2 day game. Certainly not to get off the mark.

Play with a straight bat - read the rest of this thread for other tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    You shouldn't be pulling until you are on 20 or so runs anyway in a 2 day game. Certainly not to get off the mark.

Play with a straight bat - read the rest of this thread for other tips.
    Nah, never prescribed to that theory.

If it's there to pull, you pull it, provided you are comfortable with the shot. If the pull shot is a shot where you need to be seeing the ball well to play, then yeah maybe try and restrict it, but you don't want to let a bowler settle into a rythm and let his confidence grow which is what will happen if you don't dispatch bad deliveries.

What I would say however, is that if the ball was a half tracker like you say, it should have bounced over the stumps. So you've either:

a) Got a bad bounce, or;
    b) It actually wasn't short enough to pull.

I suspect it's the latter, and yeah, that's just shot selection.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Yeah turf is generally more of a front foot game especially at lower levels so if you're used to playing on astro then the ball simply has to be a bit shorter to pull.

Also, I strongly agree with what Benchy said about the 20 runs thing; I'd probably never get to 20 if I couldn't play a pull shot on the way there.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 15-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Nah, never prescribed to that theory.

If it's there to pull, you pull it, provided you are comfortable with the shot. If the pull shot is a shot where you need to be seeing the ball well to play, then yeah maybe try and restrict it, but you don't want to let a bowler settle into a rythm and let his confidence grow which is what will happen if you don't dispatch bad deliveries.

What I would say however, is that if the ball was a half tracker like you say, it should have bounced over the stumps. So you've either:

a) Got a bad bounce, or;
    b) It actually wasn't short enough to pull.

I suspect it's the latter, and yeah, that's just shot selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah turf is generally more of a front foot game especially at lower levels so if you're used to playing on astro then the ball simply has to be a bit shorter to pull.

Also, I strongly agree with what Benchy said about the 20 runs thing; I'd probably never get to 20 if I couldn't play a pull shot on the way there.
    Then you both disagree with Mike Gatting who says don't pull until you are set.

I played a pull the other day when I was on 5 but I had been out there a while. I reckon it should be a back foot defence when you first get out there until you can judge the bounce of the pitch.

Mike Gatting says the most important inning of his career was where in a county game he was facing some lame medium pace bowlers " I thought I could bat all day against this lot" then he was out pulling on 15. He swore to never pull again before being set. He claimed it was the start of his rise to the English side.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Mike Gatting obviously didn't feel totally comfortable playing the pull shot. It's perfectly fine to say don't play the pull shot early in the innings, but then you'd find you're in the perfect position to play a pull shot and then pull out to play a back foot defence, only to get yourself in the wrong position.

The pull shot is all about positioning, at the end of the day. I can go out there from ball one and play a pull shot comfortably, and would prefer that than going out there to play a cover drive first up.

If the pull shot is a shot you're happy playing, get yourself in position and play it, no matter what stage of your innings.

Thread Information