Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best bat brand

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar

best bat brand

So which is it in your opinion. Kookaburra GM or something else?

Seems interesting to me that no one brand has ever cornered the market amongst international players - are they all equal?

What are your views.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Brand attatchment with cricket bats is pretty stupid imo, they all make great bats. If if it feels good, use it.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    DWTA

DFs used to the worst bats in the world - so poorly balanced. Kookaburra's didn't used to be much chop and then they really improved about 10 years ago.

I know Jesse Ryder shares your view though having changed brand in the middle of a series.

That's what I mean - for any one person some brands/bats will be unusable, some will feel perfect, then you ask another person and they have the opposite opinion.

On Jessie Ryder - all (almost anyway) international players use their own custom bat and just have the sponsor's stickers slapped on to them. They're not necessarily using a bat made by that company.

I am a fan of Millichamp and Hall. They are hand crafted, use excellent quality willow and have a nice oval handle.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think the reason internatinoal players haven't all gone with one maker is they sign a deal with a certain sponsor and then have their bats made precisely to their own specs anyways.

There was a long line of conjecture in the early 90s to the effect that the vast majority of Australian players were using Millichamp bats which were rebadged with their sponsor's logos anyway.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    That's what I mean - for any one person some brands/bats will be unusable, some will feel perfect, then you ask another person and they have the opposite opinion.

On Jessie Ryder - all (almost anyway) international players use their own custom bat and just have the sponsor's stickers slapped on to them. They're not necessarily using a bat made by that company.
    Not really the case - I worked for a bat maker (one of the ones mentioned earlier) and every single international player on our books had their bats made by us. Yes they weren't the shapes and weights seen in your local sports shop, but they were made at our factory to their specifications.

I doubt any major brand would be all that pleased with simply having their stickers plastered to someone elses handiwork.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    I had a Kookaburra growing up to emulate the great Nathan Astle. I had to change it later to a GM Purist Original which was awesome.

Yeah, I remember hearing all the talk when I was younger about other bat makers sorting out a GN sponsored player. But in my experience it's not the case, the exception being when batsmen go overseas and try to pick up some sticks there.

School Boy/Girl Captain El Nino's Avatar
    The bats international players are using aren't specifically made by that company. Lots are handcrafted by smaller companies perfectly suited to them, then stickers whacked on it. I Know Fisher in Melbourne used to make bats for a few Aussie players.

As I once said before, a bat is only as good as the person using it.
    When it comes to brands. I love my Kookaburra and the last bat I bought was a GM Flare.
    Such a beauty but my Kook plays a bit better.
    Amobokobokoboko envolved in the noble game of cricket

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26925250@N06/3350344319/

U19 Vice-Captain
    In my experience they're all ****. About time they developed a bat that did what it's supposed to do and hit the bloody ball from time to time.

U19 12th Man
    I think BDM, SG bats are good. There is an Indian company that supplies bats to a lot of international players. Can't recollect the name.

But a must have from my time is Gunn & Moore.

U19 Vice-Captain
    My lad has had two bats from smaller, independent English manufacturers. Both the Salix and Woodstock have been works of art, seriously nice bats.

I got a mid-range Slazenger that is ridiculously light and well balanced. Wasted on me tbh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information