Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some technical advice needed! Videos included.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    Stick to it if it works for you, bro. SOC's and some others' rightful concern is that a quick, well pitched up, incoming delivery could find you wanting.

If you don't face pace which bothers you on a regular basis, then stick with this method. From your post it is also clear that for your conditions, the classical grasscutting off-drives and the cover-drives are not the most productive strokes. In that case, be content with this method (especially if you are successful as a good strokeplayer) and work on keeping the backlift straight.

For what it's worth, I did enjoy some pull shots that you played. A lot of crunch and panache in the way you sent them packing.

EDIT: Woodster's comment on the front foot press is spot on. A good back and across shuffle will help you out with that. Practice very well in the nets before trying it out in a game though.
    I think anything around off that moves in or away on a decent length would be an issue. But it would have to be a bit quicker than the guys in the video. The bat moves in an arc from its initial position up and away from the body. Even in the video it seems there are some issues with defending and playing deliveries around off - a lot of them are missed.

I guess it depends on what you want to do though. If you're going to be playing at this level forever then it doesn't matter. You pull shot was good, but then it should be one of the easiest shots for you to play coming from the position you are in with your backlift.

If you want to improve though, then I wouldn't be limiting myself to lofted shots on the leg-side. I'd be working on a technique that allows me to play shots all around the ground, because the simple fact is that if you play at a higher level then it'll take about an over to work out which shots you can play and which you can't and you'll spend a lot of time (if you last a long time in the middle) waiting to play your favourite shots while the bowler bowls elsewhere.

I've played against young guys in the past who were incredibly strong in one area (i.e off the front foot), but really weak in others and they end up spending most of their time trying to play shots they can't play while waiting for the bowler to eventually bowl in an area they're strong in (if the bowler's any good).

The less limitations you have as a batsman the better in my opinion, and having practically the whole of the off-side as a weakness will make it tough if you go up to a higher level.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 30-09-2011 at 05:05 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Banned

need guidance

Thank you for posting such a nice information about cricket, I love to read more and more, please discuss more cricket problems and we can take guidelines too. Thank you a lot.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    AWTA.

z

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by demon00seven View Post
    please discuss more cricket problems and we can take guidelines too.
    Well I'm completely ****. But I don't suppose that's what you meant

Banned
    Thank you for posting such a nice information about cricket, I love to read more and more, please discuss more cricket problems and we can take guidelines too. Thank you a lot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information