Thread: Bat Size

Cricket Spectator

Bat Size

Hi all. I am new to this blog, am in the US and currently have an opportunity to play only taped tennis ball cricket.However, i hope to soon shift to a bigger city where i can play club cricket with the leather ball. I am looking to but a cricket bat and need advice about the size. I am 5'5" tall and 26 y/o so i know im not growing an taller. While looking at price range, i see a lot of difference b/w a Harrow sized bat and a SH.And though almost all websites give bat sizing based on age as well as height, i wonder if a harrow sized bat weighing about 2lb7 would be good bat for me, letting me buy a better bat . Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by sameoldnewday View Post
    Hi all. I am new to this blog, am in the US and currently have an opportunity to play only taped tennis ball cricket.However, i hope to soon shift to a bigger city where i can play club cricket with the leather ball. I am looking to but a cricket bat and need advice about the size. I am 5'5" tall and 26 y/o so i know im not growing an taller. While looking at price range, i see a lot of difference b/w a Harrow sized bat and a SH.And though almost all websites give bat sizing based on age as well as height, i wonder if a harrow sized bat weighing about 2lb7 would be good bat for me, letting me buy a better bat . Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks a ton.
    Most people your age would use a Short Handle mate, but if the Harrow fits you better, thats up to you!Welcome to CW
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Cricket Spectator
    Hi there..thanks the reply..Thats the problem, i don't have the facility here to walk into a cricket store and try out a harrow sized bat if it suits me fine..i'm judging based on most online size charts that suggest a harrow size for 5'4 to 5'8 person...and then, with a harrow sized bat in mind i could possibly buy a better willow . Thanks anyways..i guess ill try buying it online and talk to the seller if i can return the bat as is if i dont feel comfortable about the size . thanks again..

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Bat size

WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    If your forced me into a vote on the harrow issue - Would prefer you used a short handle - it will probably be a heavier bat and this will count more than willow.

Also get a kookaburra imho totally happy with mine. worst bat i had was a gm diamond.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Don't get a Harrow mate, you're too tall for it. As Hurricane said, it's the bat's weight which will count most. If you want to be able to play horizontal bat shots, and you're new to the game, get as light a bat as possible imo. Something like 2 pound six or seven ounces should pick up nice and light for you.

Thread Information