• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

beginner's equipment

jan

State Vice-Captain
I have tried some batting and bowling which encouraged me to do cricket bit more serious. Im thinking of buying my own equipment and seek advice on how to choose basic gear properly - ie. what to look for when choosing gloves or whats the best bat for me. Online buy is probably the only way so I wont be able to try the gear on.
And where to buy for reasonable price of course (though dont know what such price is) when UK e-shops are my only choice due to newly imposed tax on goods from non-EU countries.

1. bat
  2. pads
  3. gloves
  4. jockstrap
  5. a few balls
  6. helmet

This list is what I think is basic gear. Im not 100% sure about helmet - its quite expensive I heard and not much used at level at which cricket is played here.
Any tips are welcome :)

Thanks
Jan

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I play 4th team cricket and barely use a helmet. If I didn't have one I could easily borrow one if I needed one.

Probably can manage buying most gear without trying, although there is of course an element of risk. But, really, if you're a beginner any shortcomings in your game will come from you rather than equipment that isn't just right for you. The one exception is gloves. Might be me but I really struggled to find the most comfortable pair. I would err on the side of a lighter bat if buying without trying.

Ebay should be productive. I got a fair amount of Woodworm gear cheap when they ran into financial trouble a few years back.

65LeMac

Banned
Don't forget to buy a set of whites. The last thing anyone want's to see is a fat, hairy slob running around a cricket field wearing nothing but a pair of gloves, pads and dirty old jockstrap.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ Jan doesn't sound like a dude's name :p

Anyways, from experience, buying a helmet without trying it first is risky, so I advise you against that. Pads and gloves come in sizes so you've got to ask someone who has experience to gage what size you need before you order. Or if you want, you could walk into a cricket shop and ask to try on stuff, find out which sizes suit you, and then just act as though you're unsatisfied with their stuff and leave :p

Getting a bat means money and idk whether you would want to invest in one so early in your career unless there's absolutely no one willing to lend you theirs for a while.

jan

State Vice-Captain
@keeper
Thanks for tips.

@65LeMac4
I am a very white guy myself. When dresses as you describe I could be mistaken for a player wearing whites if seen from distance :D

@Daemon
Its pronounced yuhn and its equivalent of John in English, much better nick than Daemon I think :yes: And there are no cricket shops here. As for bat - it seems to me some people are quite reluctant to lend a bat while they have no problems with other gear...

Daemon

@Daemon
Its pronounced yuhn and its equivalent of John in English, much better nick than Daemon I think :yes: And there are no cricket shops here. As for bat - it seems to me some people are quite reluctant to lend a bat while they have no problems with other gear...
My bad! Anyways, remember to buy a box as well :p As for the bat, as long as full size is fine for you then I guess you can get em from an online cricket shop.

jan

State Vice-Captain
As for the bat, as long as full size is fine for you then I guess you can get em from an online cricket shop.
Does my height (1.85m) have influence on bat choice?
Also I looked up some bats and they vary from 2lb x oz to 3lb x oz...the lighter would surely fit me better but I dont want to buy kids bat :blink:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Height affects the size of bat you want - presumably Long Handle at 1.85m - rather than weight, which is a personal preference. I've always preferred lighter bats, but what matters to me when buying a new blade is where the weight's balanced: something you can't do any way other than picking the bat itself up.

Also, personally, will never bat without a helmet as no matter what level you're playing at you can still hit it into your own face. You also need a box as well as the jockstrap/jock shorts.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Ordered a box from the uk ebay. Good start imho :)
Still looking for the other stuff. So far found some cheap and quite decent gloves (the brand is Readers or GM iirc).

Thanks guys.

Daemon

Awesome. Maybe if you intend to pick up a bat online you could post the link here so others can offer helpful advice

cricpk

U19 12th Man
I have tried some batting and bowling which encouraged me to do cricket bit more serious. Im thinking of buying my own equipment and seek advice on how to choose basic gear properly - ie. what to look for when choosing gloves or whats the best bat for me. Online buy is probably the only way so I wont be able to try the gear on.
And where to buy for reasonable price of course (though dont know what such price is) when UK e-shops are my only choice due to newly imposed tax on goods from non-EU countries.

1. bat
  2. pads
  3. gloves
  4. jockstrap
  5. a few balls
  6. helmet

This list is what I think is basic gear. Im not 100% sure about helmet - its quite expensive I heard and not much used at level at which cricket is played here.
Any tips are welcome :)

Thanks
Jan

You can buy from my website. though cricweb staff may get angry . SN Cricket