• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

bat maintenance- Help please

ilm76

Cricket Spectator
Hi

I've just got a used cricket bat and not sure what to do with it in regards to treatment before I start using it.

Its a slazenger V3 that's been little used and is a year old, no cracks, just seam marks on the front. There is a toe guard on but no protective cover.

Question is, should i linseed oil it before putting on a protective cover, if so do I need to sand it down before\after oiling it, then put the cover on??
Seems a basic thing to ask but want to treat it right before I use it as it's a lovely bat.

thanks

ilm

elsmallo

Cricket Spectator
I would:

Lightly sand it, then oil it. I don't like protective faces so wouldn't bother with one. Take it to a net and make sure no-one's using a new ball so you don't get more seam marks. If there are some marks already it might mean it hasn't been knocked in properly; treat it with care when you first use it and try not to play any horror shots!