• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broken Bat - Some help needed!

Culff

Cricket Spectator
I am a mainly a bowler and do not bat very often. I was using my bat as you do in the nets, there were a few bad shots played and i soon discovered a crack trough my bat. Annoyingly i've had this bat just over a year and have lost the receipt so i cant get it replaced.
photo.jpgbat.JPG
As the pictures show the crack does about 5 inches down the bat.
bat2.jpg
As the crack isn't in the middle i'm sure it can still perform fine on a good hit. However i still would like to make an effort to repair it. My thoughts were that i could fill it with wood glue and then hold it together under pressure. Would this be a good idea?

Any help would be appreciated!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Drive a nail through the side (outside edge) to hold it together, tape it up to hide the nail head.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Unless you are an expert carpenter I wouldn't put a nail in it that could make things worse. If you know what you are doing then go ahead. I would proceed with your plan to put wood glue on it. But then I would tape the crap out out of it. A complete covering - use a whole roll of tape if you have to. Sports tape is best.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I used the nail method, my coach had recommended it to me and it worked beautifully. But to expect your toe to be the same as it was before is too much to ask. Like hurricane said, use lots and lots of tape. But if you use tape exclusively, theres probably not much you can do to prevent the split from getting deeper and deeper.

From the pictures I'm not sure how you would get the glue in between the split, if it's possible then thats the best option. For taping, use lots of fibre tape which is usually available in most cricket shops.