Cricket Player Manager

Thread: Front knee collapses

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

Front knee collapses

I've been looking at pictures of myself bowling and I realise that when I land, my left (front) knee collapses which is probably resulting in a loss of height as well as pace.

This picture is similar to what I've been having problems with

Is this because I'm running in too fast, or my knee is not strong enough? I'm not sure what really causes this and I don't know how to improve. I tried making a conscious effort to land with a straight leg in the nets but it throws my action and accuracy off completely and I'm still not sure whether I land correctly.

Another question I have is, are squats and lunges helpful for fast bowlers? If yes how frequently should I be doing them?

ftr I'm only 173cm so I can't afford to lose height as a fast bowler.

Any help would be appreciated.

First Class Debutant Coach_Pearson's Avatar
    Hi Daemon,

I saw your post and thought I would offer some help.

Bending of the front knee is part of most bowling actions, and allows you to spread your weight through your action. I would suggest if you are looking to gain pace that it comes more from your shoulder and wrist, than from your legs.

In terms of height in your action I would suggest more of a straight back and getting your front (left) arm as high as possible, rather than straighten your fron leg. You will also start to feel excess pressure of your left knee if you keep doing this.

Squats and Lunges are good for cricketers in general as it increases con strenth. I would balance those with abdominal stretching exercises as well, for example medicine ball sit ups.

I hope this helps.
    yours in cricket

Stephen Pearson

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Thanks Coach!

One thing, it's impossible to keep a straight back while delivering if the front knee is bent isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Thanks Coach!

One thing, it's impossible to keep a straight back while delivering if the front knee is bent isn't it?
    Depends if you are side on, or front on, or a mixture of both. I would suggest just been more upright than the picture u have posted.

The picture you have posted shows more the problem of the front foot falling away to the left (off) side, which has forced the back to bend earlier in the action than would be desired.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I see. I have a mixed action, will try to do what you suggested the next time I have training.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    I see. I have a mixed action, will try to do what you suggested the next time I have training.
    Cool, let me know how it goes.

Thread Information