• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Need some suggestions on how to play good length deliveries

a1m

Cricket Spectator
Hello,

I figured, it's time to get help as I have been struggling to play certain deliveries. Little background on me as it may or may not be relevant. I used to bat # 6 or 7. My main task was to hit the ball. But, I was never really satisfied as a hitter. I always wanted to play strokes with straight bat. So around 4 or 5 years ago I set out to learn how to play with straight bat.

Now, I would say I am very strong playing shots on front foot when the ball's line is on the offside. But my weak spots have always been balls delivered on middle stump and leg stump.

Today on net practice I was constantly beaten by someone throwing balls on middle and mostly leg stumps. More importantly these were good length deliveries. By the time the ball reached me it was right around my upper chest height. I was blocking them but eventually my fear overtook my blocking.

So my question on, how would you recommend playing these type of deliveries.

Couple of other important notes:
-I usually go as an opener.
-The pitches are cement based (concrete) with some type of green mats on them.

Thanks

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Today on net practice I was constantly beaten by someone throwing balls on middle and mostly leg stumps. More importantly these were good length deliveries. By the time the ball reached me it was right around my upper chest height. I was blocking them but eventually my fear overtook my blocking.
That's some seriously high bounce. I wouldn't expect good length deliveries to be rearing up at my chest and I'm not particularly tall either (6'0"). Maybe you are a teenager and haven't reached full height yet.

If you're premeditating and lunging onto the front-foot, make sure you delay it until you're absolutely sure of the delivery's length.
You'd ideally want to play rising balls with a loose bottom hand. Tucking them away behind square on the leg-side would be a good tactic but make sure you keep the bottom hand real loose so as not to pop up a catch. Steering the ball with the top hand and the lower hand almost coming off the bat-handle is a good way to keep the ball down and pinch a single or two. It also prevents your fingers from getting crushed against the bat handle if the ball rises higher than expected.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hello,

I figured, it's time to get help as I have been struggling to play certain deliveries. Little background on me as it may or may not be relevant. I used to bat # 6 or 7. My main task was to hit the ball. But, I was never really satisfied as a hitter. I always wanted to play strokes with straight bat. So around 4 or 5 years ago I set out to learn how to play with straight bat.

Now, I would say I am very strong playing shots on front foot when the ball's line is on the offside. But my weak spots have always been balls delivered on middle stump and leg stump.

So my question on, how would you recommend playing these type of deliveries.

Couple of other important notes:
-I usually go as an opener.
-The pitches are cement based (concrete) with some type of green mats on them.

Thanks
I'm an opening batsman who only plays on astroturf too :)

Okay, the description you're giving is more of short pitched bowling, compared to good length, but on concrete pitches there isn't much difference.

The key to stuff that's aimed at your body is simply to back yourself to get into position. Start off with the basic back-and-across movement. Your back foot should be going back into the crease and across in line with your off stump (more or less). The key is getting your head in line with the ball.

Once you get the footwork right and are confident in your ability to move properly when facing bowling, get someone to throw these problem deliveries at you. Work on getting your head in line with the ball, and bringing the bat up in front of you. Keep your front elbow up to angle the bat and keep the ball down.

Then, once you've worked out the defence and gain some confidence, you can start trying to introduce the pull shot, or even just a flick into the leg side.

Last thing, I know it seems scary having balls bowled at you at pace, but if you do everything properly and get into the right position, you're less likely to be hit than if your panicking and jumping around all over the place. And if they can't get you out with the short stuff, they'll start pitching it up and bowling to your strength :)

Coach_Pearson

First Class Debutant
Hi a1m,

First of all, I would like congratulate you on being able to play of the front foot on a sythentic pitch, it is not an easy task, and most sythentic players struggle with it.

Second I would just like to agree with everything that RVD said, I think he got it spot on, but I just thought I would offer a few other suggestions.

1. When playing the middle to leg-side delivery I would suggest trying to get one side of the ball. If your strength is the off side, you should try to use that, and get your front leg to the outside (legside) of the ball, which should get your head in line, and allow you to straight or on-drive the delivery.

2. This will not work for all legside balls, but I assume you can leg-glance and pull if the right ball comes along for those shots.

3. Is moving to a club that plays on turf an option? It sounds like your technique will suit that surface a bit better.

4. I would also suggest (and this is just my opinion) that attacking is always better than defending, the modern game calls for scoring as much as possible.