Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmets: Pointless or not?

gio
    U19 Cricketer

Helmets: Pointless or not?

When I was younger, helmets were compulsory. Since I've gone back to cricket, I've batted without a helmet - it seemed to obstruct my vision more than anything. After a pretty poor season last year, I'm considering batting in one again.

I've come to the conclusion that it might help me get my head over the ball more - I've started driving off the back foot to reasonably full deliveries when I should be getting forward to them. As a result I hit them in the air.

What are your experiences of batting in a helmet? Do you find it helps or hinders? In what ways? Looking for a range of opinions so any comments appreciated!

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    It always hinders my view TBH.I've always found them a nuisance.But in the end,it depends on what form of cricket you play IMO.I've never played for a professional league,so the level of bowling wasn't that 'threatning',so the need to wear a helmet was never there.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by gio View Post
    When I was younger, helmets were compulsory. Since I've gone back to cricket, I've batted without a helmet - it seemed to obstruct my vision more than anything. After a pretty poor season last year, I'm considering batting in one again.

I've come to the conclusion that it might help me get my head over the ball more - I've started driving off the back foot to reasonably full deliveries when I should be getting forward to them. As a result I hit them in the air.

What are your experiences of batting in a helmet? Do you find it helps or hinders? In what ways? Looking for a range of opinions so any comments appreciated!
    I usually make the gap between the grill and the visor big enough so I can see top of the bowlers hand during release and somewhere near a good length without moving my head and without obstruction.
    Last edited by Daemon; 02-03-2011 at 06:52 AM.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Never played at a high enough level where you get quick enough bowling for it to matter but a few of our guys wear them and it suits them. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.

School Boy/Girl Captain sudhindra9's Avatar
    I'm a 6ft. 4inch tailender. By the time I go in to bat the ball wont be hard enough to bounce to 6ft at a good pace. So helmets arent my thing.
    I would like to watch bowlers dominate batsmen like a dog would a tail-wagging contest against a rabbit. Which means I spend most of my days fuming and cursing the game. The Newlands Test between South Africa and Australia has vindicated my belief that batsmen are a bunch of weak-minded, inept fools only good for waving about sponsor logos.

And your logic seems pretty right because when you wear a helmet you tend to lean into the shot more.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    I got hit on the mouth with the ball playing a pull shot and now I wear a helmet no matter how fast the bowling is. For unknown reasons I found a helmet that doesn't obstruct my view in any way whatsoever. I had another helmet which was very awkward to see through and had to give it away.

I recommend wearing a helmet if you play for 20 years you will eventually get hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Batting with a helmet for most of my cricketing life, I found that I didn't really delevop any proper technique for the short ball. If I saw it, I threw a crude swipe at it, if I didn't, I **** a brick and let it hit me. For the last season, I've gone to bare-headed the majority of the time. It's really taught me to relax a bit more when facing quicks, as I find it's far easier to spot and avoid bouncers with unobstructed vision and a clear mind. There's far less temptation to play rash pull-shots in the early-innings period too, which is a big problem I had.
    Exit pursuing a beer

I copped a couple of full tosses to the head (and a baseball when I played U/12s baseball) in juniors, so I now always wear a helmet. They give me confidence to play forward properly because I'm not afraid of the ball hitting my head.

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    @wellAlbidarned we did a drill when we were eleven where we lay on the ground and another player dropped a ball directly at our heads. If you keep your eye on the ball your natural instincts will always make you sway out of the way. It worries me that you were getting hit you must have been closing your eyes on something. The only time I was hit was when I took on a bouncer and missed it.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Yeah I did have an awful habit of looking away. The bowlers weren't really quick enough to cause much pain back then, so it didn't matter so much. Removing the helmet made it far easier for me to keep focus on the ball and subsequently play it far better. Might've just been a crappy helmet though.

Wearing a helmet has its advantages and disadvantages. It also depends where you are playing. It Indian cricket (atleast domestic) you dont need a helmet

I am addicted to my helmet. I love it. And I also feel really lightheaded without my helmet and always have a tendency to slog. So yeah. Helmet for me. Also I play with guys properly bigger than me sometimes and always take my eye off the ball.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba
    If Shoiab starts throwing his jockstrap around, they're all going to catch something

Accidental Founder of the Fawad Alam Appreciation Society!

Slowfinger - An active member of CricketWeb for 7 years and counting!

Banned
    There are advantage as well disadvantage to wearing a helmet, but with a view to safety purpose you have to need it.

Cricket Spectator
    Seen a couple of people edge themselves into A&E of spin which is the initial reason i stuck to the helmet.

Now i find it helps me keep my head straight for some reason.

A bigger problem i find is getting the one right for you. It has to be comfortable and if you can find one that doesn't obstruct your view to much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information