• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Helmets: Pointless or not?

gio

U19 Cricketer
When I was younger, helmets were compulsory. Since I've gone back to cricket, I've batted without a helmet - it seemed to obstruct my vision more than anything. After a pretty poor season last year, I'm considering batting in one again.

I've come to the conclusion that it might help me get my head over the ball more - I've started driving off the back foot to reasonably full deliveries when I should be getting forward to them. As a result I hit them in the air.

What are your experiences of batting in a helmet? Do you find it helps or hinders? In what ways? Looking for a range of opinions so any comments appreciated!

salman85

International Debutant
It always hinders my view TBH.I've always found them a nuisance.But in the end,it depends on what form of cricket you play IMO.I've never played for a professional league,so the level of bowling wasn't that 'threatning',so the need to wear a helmet was never there.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When I was younger, helmets were compulsory. Since I've gone back to cricket, I've batted without a helmet - it seemed to obstruct my vision more than anything. After a pretty poor season last year, I'm considering batting in one again.

I've come to the conclusion that it might help me get my head over the ball more - I've started driving off the back foot to reasonably full deliveries when I should be getting forward to them. As a result I hit them in the air.

What are your experiences of batting in a helmet? Do you find it helps or hinders? In what ways? Looking for a range of opinions so any comments appreciated!
I usually make the gap between the grill and the visor big enough so I can see top of the bowlers hand during release and somewhere near a good length without moving my head and without obstruction.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Never played at a high enough level where you get quick enough bowling for it to matter but a few of our guys wear them and it suits them. Just go with what you feel comfortable with.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm a 6ft. 4inch tailender. By the time I go in to bat the ball wont be hard enough to bounce to 6ft at a good pace. So helmets arent my thing.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
And your logic seems pretty right because when you wear a helmet you tend to lean into the shot more.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I got hit on the mouth with the ball playing a pull shot and now I wear a helmet no matter how fast the bowling is. For unknown reasons I found a helmet that doesn't obstruct my view in any way whatsoever. I had another helmet which was very awkward to see through and had to give it away.

I recommend wearing a helmet if you play for 20 years you will eventually get hit.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Batting with a helmet for most of my cricketing life, I found that I didn't really delevop any proper technique for the short ball. If I saw it, I threw a crude swipe at it, if I didn't, I **** a brick and let it hit me. For the last season, I've gone to bare-headed the majority of the time. It's really taught me to relax a bit more when facing quicks, as I find it's far easier to spot and avoid bouncers with unobstructed vision and a clear mind. There's far less temptation to play rash pull-shots in the early-innings period too, which is a big problem I had.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I copped a couple of full tosses to the head (and a baseball when I played U/12s baseball) in juniors, so I now always wear a helmet. They give me confidence to play forward properly because I'm not afraid of the ball hitting my head.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@wellAlbidarned we did a drill when we were eleven where we lay on the ground and another player dropped a ball directly at our heads. If you keep your eye on the ball your natural instincts will always make you sway out of the way. It worries me that you were getting hit you must have been closing your eyes on something. The only time I was hit was when I took on a bouncer and missed it.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Yeah I did have an awful habit of looking away. The bowlers weren't really quick enough to cause much pain back then, so it didn't matter so much. Removing the helmet made it far easier for me to keep focus on the ball and subsequently play it far better. Might've just been a crappy helmet though.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wearing a helmet has its advantages and disadvantages. It also depends where you are playing. It Indian cricket (atleast domestic) you dont need a helmet

slowfinger

International Debutant
I am addicted to my helmet. I love it. And I also feel really lightheaded without my helmet and always have a tendency to slog. So yeah. Helmet for me. Also I play with guys properly bigger than me sometimes and always take my eye off the ball.

hanery

Banned
There are advantage as well disadvantage to wearing a helmet, but with a view to safety purpose you have to need it.

timben83

Cricket Spectator
Seen a couple of people edge themselves into A&E of spin which is the initial reason i stuck to the helmet.

Now i find it helps me keep my head straight for some reason.

A bigger problem i find is getting the one right for you. It has to be comfortable and if you can find one that doesn't obstruct your view to much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Now i find it helps me keep my head straight for some reason.
Haha yes! Me too!

I used to do away with the helmet whenever I played a muckaround game or a really low level match but it makes me fall over the off side; the grill on the helmet lets me see if I've got lazy in my stance before each delivery.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Always wear a helmet when I'm batting. Have considered taking it off once or twice, but 99% of the time I would never be without it.

Keeping, on the other hand, I hate wearing one. Feels clunky and like I can't see the ball as well. Have only worn one once since about U/14s, when balls started taking off from a good length while keeping up to our first change U19 reps bowler.

benchmark00

Helmet makes me fall over my pad if anything.

Pro tip: If you find your head is falling over and getting outside the line of the ball (probably the most common problem with batsmen, and happens at the elite level e.g. Ponting etc) and you have tried pressing forward with your head and still can't rectify it, then work on your bat lift. As the bowler is about the release the ball, make a conscious effort to raise the bat towards middle stump, which should counteract your head falling over to point.