• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How fast do i bowl?

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey Im actually a fast bowler. But the problem is I do not know how fast i bowl. Could anyone suggest some equipment that is not very costly. To measure speed. And what is actually a decent speed for a seventeen year old fast bowler.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There isn't really any easy way to measure speed. You could bowl to guys who have played bowlers knowing exactly what speed they were playing before and ask them, but you will tend to get different and inaccurate results. Could ask one of your mates to keep to a bowling machine at a set speed and then compare your speeds with it, also subjective but you will probably get a rough Idea.

Average speeds for 17 year olds depends on which part of the world you are from, out here its probably a measly 105-110 for the top few bowlers in school cricket, but we do have one guy who was clocked at 126kph in Malaysia recently. He's incredibly wayward though, got smashed at the recent U19 ACC cup. When I was in Delhi playing against 16 year olds they were ****ing quick (for me at least, I bat at no.8-11 :P) but I doubt they were even close to 120kph.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tried asking a few guys and I got replies ranging from 80kph to 120kph but I felt 80 was too slow and 120 was too fast so I thought perhaps 100kph.
And yeah a bowling machine seems a wierd idea but I'll certainly give it a try.
Thanks for the feedback.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Tried asking a few guys and I got replies ranging from 80kph to 120kph but I felt 80 was too slow and 120 was too fast so I thought perhaps 100kph.
And yeah a bowling machine seems a wierd idea but I'll certainly give it a try.
Thanks for the feedback.
80for fast bowler is too slow. I highly doubt you bowl there.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Watch a video of MacGill or Warne bowling. You'll notice how the majority of their balls are around 80kph, and float and loop a long way above the batsman's eyeline. If you're a pace bowler, and you were told you were 80kph, I'd seriously question the batsman's judgement.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We have discussed this before in another thread.

The options were to buy a special ball that measures your speed. I don't know where you get these from but google it.

Get someone to put a stop watch on your bowling and do it for about 10 deliveries until you get a consistent time. This was questioned in the other thread as how accurate can the timing be. Anyways once you get the time some simple math will give you your speed.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Watch a video of MacGill or Warne bowling. You'll notice how the majority of their balls are around 80kph, and float and loop a long way above the batsman's eyeline. If you're a pace bowler, and you were told you were 80kph, I'd seriously question the batsman's judgement.
We have discussed this before in another thread.

The options were to buy a special ball that measures your speed. I don't know where you get these from but google it.

Get someone to put a stop watch on your bowling and do it for about 10 deliveries until you get a consistent time. This was questioned in the other thread as how accurate can the timing be. Anyways once you get the time some simple math will give you your speed.
The ball seems a good option. I'll try googling! Thanks!

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
:) I'll settle for a 100-odd kph then!

MrSmilez

Cricket Spectator
Hey there.

Im 16 at the moment (coming up to 17 in June) and i bowl at around 110-120 WITHOUT a run-up and with a tennis ball :P. I've bowled with a a general 5 metre run-up for quite a while now (with a cricket ball) and i dont see a difference in speed although i've yet to try a 20-30 metre run-up. Hope that helps

MrSmilez

Cricket Spectator
I've bowled to a mate through backyard cricket and he's said that its between 110-120 (he faces this type of speed through school cricket). I bowl somewhat like Jimmy Anderson, so i bend my back quite a bit. Although i could send a video in sometime i guess.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Send a video off 22 yards, with a cricket ball and not a short delivery and people will be able to estimate within 10kph, I'd reckon.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've bowled to a mate through backyard cricket and he's said that its between 110-120 (he faces this type of speed through school cricket). I bowl somewhat like Jimmy Anderson, so i bend my back quite a bit. Although i could send a video in sometime i guess.
It's great if you're at that speed so young (and you're not going to hurt yourself). If you can project a tennis ball at 120kph over 22 yards though I'd say you'd be quicker with a cricket ball.

Has your mate actually played against guys who have been measured at that pace though or is he guessing. I think you'd be surprised how quick 120kph is.

I'm not saying it's impossible though by any means. A guy called Paul Spence played in our area and he was very sharp when he was 14 (he was also about 180cm tall). He ended up playing Australian Under 19's I think.